Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,877   Online: 893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

2nd offer on Mamiya 7 - ???

I hope this kind of topic is allowed here - I have no experience yet on this type of questions, so I apologize before hand if it is not.

So - There are an auction for Mamiya7 with 80mm lens on ebay - seller with 0 feedback from Thailand. Went only to some 490 (euro equivalent, 11 different bidders tried their luck). I was not the highest bidder, even though one should be probably safe with PayPal (as a buyer) so yes - I was bidding too.

Now - just some 8 hours later I got the camera offered from the seller (via ebay) for the heigh of my bid which was ca 450. I have sent him a question as why is that, but I would like to ask what do you think? Is that a fraud? Should I give it a try? Sounds too good to be true ...

Strange is - the ebay offer came via Italian branch ...

The auction ID: 320548237207

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The general rule, as everywhere, is that if it sounds too good to be true, then it isn't

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Find another one to bid on and buy!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Similar scams have been written up here and the LF Forum. They are very common. Use great caution. I would avoid it all together, but it is your choice. For that matter I avoid purchase from anyone with less than 100 sales and 100% positive feedback.

My thinking is based on 836 feedback 100% positive.
    Just my opinion.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It could be true as the highest bidder may have defaulted and in which case the next lowest bidder is contacted to see if they want it at their price?
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    It could be true as the highest bidder may have defaulted and in which case the next lowest bidder is contacted to see if they want it at their price?
    Yes, theoretically it could. But the seller has ZERO feedback and ZERO other items for sale and ZERO buy history. Other than that and the fact that most 2nd offers are bogus, the ad sure looks like a legit seller.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting that all the bids are set to private. I know ebay no longer shows who is bidding but this seller took it a step further and set it to private, you cannot tell how many different people actually bid.

Another thing that happens alot, and has happen to me, is the buyer well shill bid and sometimes he outbids the highest person so he/she ends up being the winner so he does a 2nd chance offer very shortly to the next highest bidder.

"the ebay offer came via Italian branch ..."

not sure what you mean here, but if someone is Italy making a 2nd chance offer to you for someone in Thailand, that throws alot of red flags.....

Do not always count on Paypal or eBay buyer protection when it comes to international sales even though they claim your safe...

Also user has only been registered since April 2010 and this is there first eBay experience as a seller or buyer under the ID.

If I was you I would pass on it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    Also could be the seller was shill bidding and ended up being the winner of his own auction also.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    SCAM! Run--don't walk--away from this one. It's an old trap. Don't fall for it. Wait for another from a legit seller with credible feedback from buying/selling hi-end photo gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I stand corrected run rather than walk away then!!!! Avoid like the plague!
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin