Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,409   Online: 739

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second the suggestion to pick up an additional back. Of all the cool things Hasselblads offer, being able to switch films mid-roll is one my favorites.

Also, a newer focusing screen or better yet, one of the Acute-Matte D screens, is worth a bit extra. I still can't focus mine worth a toot, but the new screen got me a lot closer.
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having a second back so that one can change from black & white to color and back is one of the joys of a Hasselblad and many other MF cameras.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, I probably won't buy a focusing screen right away (unless the outfit doesn't come with one...) but does anyone want to explain the differences of what's available? What does each offer, and are there any screens that wouldn't be compatible?

I definitely want to get a second A12 back, maybe even a A16 at some point for some extra - albeit non-square - frames on a roll of 120.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I completely agree about the Acute-Matte D screen being an option you should seriously consider. I find the screens to be of major benefit in my bodies, especially when I use longer lenses. Even with standard and short focal lengths the screen makes life a lot easier. I prefer the #42217 that has the grid and split image. The screen can be inserted 90 degrees off, that allows the split image to be used horizontally and vertically. A nice advantage of the 6x6 format.

Another item I would mention is a basic shade for the standard lens. You can always buy a bellows shade later on if you find the need for one. I have both the basic shade and a bellows shade and I find the cameras are easier and faster to use with the standard shade when hand held. The bellows shade can get in the way sometimes. My preference is the plastic standard shade, not the metal one. The metal ones get banged up easily but the plastic shades don't and they are less expensive. I would also ask KEH for the late version finder. It's the one with the large black plastic tab used for opening.

Quote Originally Posted by jackbaty View Post
    I second the suggestion to pick up an additional back. Of all the cool things Hasselblads offer, being able to switch films mid-roll is one my favorites.

Also, a newer focusing screen or better yet, one of the Acute-Matte D screens, is worth a bit extra. I still can't focus mine worth a toot, but the new screen got me a lot closer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yeknom02 View Post
    OK, I probably won't buy a focusing screen right away (unless the outfit doesn't come with one...) but does anyone want to explain the differences of what's available? What does each offer, and are there any screens that wouldn't be compatible?
    All screens work.

There are three 'generations' of focusing screens.

The first was as bright as a 'normal' diffusing focusing screen can be, but not the brigthest. Also had a rather coarse Fresnel lens. Worked great though.
    As far as the 'standard', plain screen with reference cross screen goes, this generation is easily recognized by the fact that the reference cross is marked in black paint.

The second was made by Minolta, and is called "Acute Matte". The Acute Matte screens are one stop brighter.
    They were made brighter by using optical trickery, that, instead of scattering light in all directions, directed light to a point where your eye is supposed to be.
    And due to this trickery, they are in fact a little more difficult to focus.
    The standard plain screen with reference cross can be recognized by the fact that the lines of the cross isn't marked in black, but formed by raised lines, embossed in the plastic bottom of the screen.

The third generation consists of modified Acute Matte screens, called "Acute Matte D". Though still using the optical trick to keep them bright, they are a little bit more like conventional screens again, making them (or supposed to make them) a bit easier to focus again.
    Acuet Matte D screens can be recognized by a D-shaped cut out in the metal rim of the screen.

All three generations come in different types (with and without a single, or combinations of, focusing aid(s), and/or grid lines).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for the very helpful advice! Just to give an update - the outfit I'll be getting does come with a focusing screen and a dark slide for the A12 film back. I will have to get a lens cap, though.

I think that my first item for a wish list will be different film backs. I like the idea of switching between color and black & white, but also between negative film and slide film. Or I may start off with a lens hood, which is less expensive. Replacing the focusing screen is the last item on the list, since I've been dealing with a crappy viewfinder on my TLR and I have learned my way around it.

Oh yeah, and I'll have to get more lenses at some point........
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another question - am I assuming I'll have to invest in some UV filters, the way I do with my SLR cameras? I've looked for those and some ND filters, and my, are they expensive (for filters)!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You have received many good suggestions and since it is a modular system you can add stuff as you need. I didn't notice anyone suggesting an un-jammer. somewhere along the line you will need it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Filters for "protecting" the lens are mainly a personal choice. I prefer to not include an extra piece of glass when it's not needed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here's one (former) hassie user who really really hated the acute matte and the acute matte D screens. The original screens are so much easier to focus of center than the newer ones. Besides although the newer screens are definately brighter I find the old ones to be more than bright enough.
    Kind Regards
    Mads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin