Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,483   Online: 1059

Shooter
    35mm

Norita Nostalgia

I wonder if any of you remember the Graflex Norita? It was a 6x6 SLR, similar in style to the Pentax 67. I bought one in the mid-70s when I was living in New York, only ever had the 80mm, and I loved it. I used it for black and white and the occasional roll of the most delicious transparencies. Eventually I (in retrospect, this decision was inexplicable) decided to go 35mm and traded it in for a Canon F1 and accessories.

But now after a break from the darkroom of a couple of decades, I'm back in there, and enjoying it immensely, but oh how I miss that clunky big old Norita, which now seems to be an extreme rarity.

Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome back to film, and to Apug. I remember those, tho I never had one. Sounds like a nobel quest to undertake, regaining a trusted old friend.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    welcome back from me too.
    I (or rather my school) have one of those cameras - Unfortunately they (as Hasselblad and other cameras) are not made for students!!!
    So after a little while, the shutter jammed, and I havn't gotten around to get it fixed.

When working, it is a really nice camera and the lens is really big... 80mm F2.0..

I must do something about it, but I don't know whether there are anyone in DK that can fix the shutter....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes unfortunately I'm old enough to remember the Norita 66, they must be quite rare now because they were pretty expensive relative to other bigger name M/F SLR s and I don't think they sold many. I think you would be much better advised to buy a Pentax 6X7.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you squint and forget that it's not a Norita, why not think about trying a Pentax 67?
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I owned a Graflex Norita 66 SLR for a few years back in the 1970s but don't have a lot of nostalgia for it. The camera made nice sharp images but the one I owned was subject to mechanical failures. As I recall it had to be repaired twice before I eventually decided to sell it.

Glad you asked about the Norita, though, as I made several hundred negatives with it on an extended summer trip to Europe in 1973 that I had not thought about in years. Unfortunately I was very involved at the time with my profession and never printed much of this work. Might be a good time to have another look at this archive.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Medium Format
    you can still get the most of it today, just buy a Pentacon Six: http://www.pentaconsix.com/norita.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin