Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,174   Online: 810

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Amen to all these posts. I've been using my RB for many years, and the glass is as good as it gets. The 180 is a fantastic portrait lens, and as stated, the bellows focusing is a huge plus. I would also suggest a good lens shade for out door work. The camera also lends it self very well to just about any other kind of photographic genre from landscape, to product type shots. Definately a great bang for your buck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using my RB67 for a few years and really love it. I only have 3 lenses(50,90180) all are the c type but still great pictures.(I'm a cheap SOB!)

Jeff

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "The KL series requires an adapter"

For what? KL lenses come with an adapter to snug up the fit on the large throated RB67 Pro SD body only. Non C and C lenses need the adapter for the SD body only. The adapter slips off, allowing KL lenses to fit the older Pro and Pro S bodies--no issues.

Recently got a NOS RB 150/3.5 KL--killer!

It's a great system. It's far more flexible than many think and a relative bargain now. Shoot a roll of 120 slide film and you'll be hooked.
    Last edited by CGW; 06-22-2010 at 05:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    most every travel photo here has been shot with my RB. "you" should see the prints!

http://photo.net/photos/Ranong
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    35mm
    i just picked up a mamiya rb67... just waiting for it in the mail... this thread has gotten me all excited about it. I was also comparing it with the hasselblad 500cm... but it's way too expensive for me at the moment...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hands down, the RB system is the best MF SLR for the money today. If/when you get bored with traditional uses, you can make a mount for your 4x5 camera (that you will buy, sooner or later), as well as mount a rotating back on the camera and get full movements while still shooting 120 roll film and using the RB lenses and their shutters. Think of it as Flex Body on acid...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie gunks View Post
    my buddy repairs them. say s the kl shutters use plastic where the others do not.

that being said, i am sure all work fine but if you are unfortunate to have one that has been ridden hard in the studio this is where the difficulty may lie.
    The difference is that the earlier lenses (C and non-C) had nearly all metal parts, which could be replaced individually if necessary. According to what I have learned online, the KL-L shutters not only contain more plastic, but they are installed as an integral unit. If one goes bad, it cannot be repaired--you have to replace the whole shutter unit, which can be a good bit more expensive proposition.

I've gone with all C lenses for that reason--as I've bought all mine used (from KEH) and I don't know their provenance, I wanted to have the ability to get them back up and working quickly and affordably if something did go wrong. And, as good as KEH normally is, I have had to address a few problems along the way.

In terms of bang-for-buck, the C lenses are great. The KL-L lenses might actually be better in terms of optical quality, but I believe you'd be hard pressed to see it under normal circumstances. My 90 and 127 C lenses are both razor sharp.

Right now, at the prices the RB67 and the C lenses are available for used, this system might be the best photographic bargain in existence! (I just ordered a 140 macro lens in bargain condition from KEH: $139!!! Crazy.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, the RB67 system and accessories are too cheap to pass up right now. I'm thoroughly enjoying mine.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rulnacco View Post
    The difference is that the earlier lenses (C and non-C) had nearly all metal parts, which could be replaced individually if necessary. According to what I have learned online, the KL-L shutters not only contain more plastic, but they are installed as an integral unit. If one goes bad, it cannot be repaired--you have to replace the whole shutter unit, which can be a good bit more expensive proposition.

I've gone with all C lenses for that reason--as I've bought all mine used (from KEH) and I don't know their provenance, I wanted to have the ability to get them back up and working quickly and affordably if something did go wrong. And, as good as KEH normally is, I have had to address a few problems along the way.

In terms of bang-for-buck, the C lenses are great. The KL-L lenses might actually be better in terms of optical quality, but I believe you'd be hard pressed to see it under normal circumstances. My 90 and 127 C lenses are both razor sharp.

Right now, at the prices the RB67 and the C lenses are available for used, this system might be the best photographic bargain in existence! (I just ordered a 140 macro lens in bargain condition from KEH: $139!!! Crazy.)
    Both non-C and C lenses aren't axiomatically better than KLs, especially if they're hi-mileage units--all that metal doesn't last forever. Besides, fixes cost money and time. I do see better contrast from my KL lenses than my Cs--not huge but obvious under under some lighting conditions. I think anyone venturing into the RB67 system needs to be aware that much of this gear was heavily used, regardless of the "workhorse" label that somehow implies immunity from age and use-related failure. They shoot horses, right?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Eddy n Errie.
    The problem with reapiring the older RBs n lenses is I lose customers for a real long time between visits. They never come back because the lenses n bodies are so reliable n well made.... or maybe they just tossed the cameras in the trash with prices so low?

Perhaps I should buy a ton of the cheapo plastic KL shutters n make a fortune on repeat reapirs?

Ed are still using some of the stuff I did for ya?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin