Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,661   Online: 815

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul,
    Look for a few lenses coming your way soon, I've segregated the herd into those that get frequent use and those that don't.

The infrequently used ones will all need attention of some sort, the others will come to you later.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's what I don't know, having only the RB67 ProS, the camera was made for portraits, the KL is the best, I like the C lenses best, I don't like the backs, they are made cheap and you have to watch the seals which go to goo in no time. The back can leak, the lens can jam, cock the shutter, fire it off then cock the shutter and advance the film; fire, cock the shutter, advance the film. There is no battery and that's the best part.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use good quality foam, and velvet on the hinge side of the outer body, the foam should last at least 10 or more years.

Any back can leak without proper maintenance. Try using an A12 back without changing the darkslide seal every year or two.

I've never had a single lens jam, in over 25 years of shooting with RB's.
    Part of the problem is the perceived need to ignore maintenance, properly maintained and cared for, an RB will likely outlast most, if not all of us.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Both non-C and C lenses aren't axiomatically better than KLs, especially if they're hi-mileage units--all that metal doesn't last forever. Besides, fixes cost money and time. I do see better contrast from my KL lenses than my Cs--not huge but obvious under under some lighting conditions. I think anyone venturing into the RB67 system needs to be aware that much of this gear was heavily used, regardless of the "workhorse" label that somehow implies immunity from age and use-related failure. They shoot horses, right?
    I couldn't agree more. I think they're on pretty equal footing. I recently switched from my RB67 with C lenses to the RZ67 with Sekor-Z lenses (supposedly the same designs as the KL lenses, but without the mechanical shutter). I had seen many people dis the Z lenses because of they weren't as good as the metal-shutter variety. I have not found this to be the case and couldn't be happier with my RZ setup.

The reason I mention this is because it showed me that I had no idea how far off the shutter was on my most-used C lens until I compared it with the shutter on my RZ system. I had never had them CLA'd because I didn't have the money. The older lenses may be "workhorses" but they are a gamble if you don't plan to have them serviced. Who knows how I ever got the great photos that I did out of that lens. I would never buy one again without planning to have a CLA done on it right off the bat.

Don't let the reputation the RB67 has fool you into believing that they will run forever no matter what. The all-mechanical, solid construction may make them easier to repair and maintain, but they're still going to need it just like any other piece of gear.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Exactly correct, all need service regardless if you expect em to preform as designed.

As for electronic shutters... maybe time better, but can't do the test of time. Ah but maybe you won't have it that long anyway.

BTW: anyone tossing their old C n Non C lenses in the trash can toss em my way anytime.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Toss me any doubles please!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin