Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,373   Online: 1077

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tiny droplets? on inside lens element

Greetings
    Interested in any ideas anyone may have on the following...
    I happened to have a close look through the barrel of my Hasselblad 50 today when I noticed a large number (couple of hundred?) of what look like tiny droplets on one of the inside elements. It is not dust. It does not look like condensation, as the individual 'droplets' are distinct and quite evenly spaced all over the element with clear space in between them. Nor does it look like fungus. I have heard of oil turning up on lens elements, but am not sure what that would look like.
    This is not an old lens - about 7 years old I'd say.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    i have a similar thing on some of my enlarger lenses and i have tried long term sunlight exposure (that usually works for fungus) but has no effect on this particular affliction. as yet i have not noticed any major impact on image quality but i still have no idea what it is or where it came from. curious...

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oil condensation perhaps?
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Ian,
    I had this effect in the Xenar lens of a Rolleicord and the service man guessed that the previous owner had attempted to get a slow working shutter free by injection of some solvent instead of a CLA to save money. This solvent formed a condensate on the lens surface or splashed onto it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin