Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,300   Online: 906

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya C220 Parts

Have a "new to me" Mamiya C220 at a to-low-to-refuse price. Generally looking used but workable.

The film advance seems to have a problem I've not seen before. The metal keys which fit into the 120 spool and wind have been sheered off. (So there is just a center pin left, which obviously isn't going to advance the film!)

Any ideas on places for spare parts? Failing that it seems something that I should be able to fashion - does anybody have any idea how much tension these part would normally deal with - is glue likely to hold or should I be producing something from scratch?

Ta

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep an eye open on the auction site for a parts camera or place an ad for a broken unit for parts.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a Canadian eBay seller by the name of "lwineb" who sells a lot of parts for Mamiya TLRs. I haven't dealt with him/her, but have wondered about a purchase or two.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    There is a Canadian eBay seller by the name of "lwineb" who sells a lot of parts for Mamiya TLRs. I haven't dealt with him/her, but have wondered about a purchase or two.
    Many Many thanks. He has 5 of them!

I've got some epoxy putty out which might do for a test roll, but this is a much better solution.

I'm guessing with what would be a catastrophic failure, this is hopefully the only thing that is wrong with the camera.

Best get on with those light seals

Shooter
    Large Format

C220 Parts

Wishy;

I have a C220 that managed to take a header off a tripod some years ago....I started to take it apart to see if I could fix it () but decided to replace it instead (found a mint C330 on Adorama with a prism finder for $100.00 so, I bought it).

It's just sitting on my shelf.....I don't know how the contact e-mail system works through APUG...but, e-mail me and let's see if we can come to some arrangement (I'd be willing to send it to you for the cost of shipping & insurance).

Later--Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since modern plastic spools should deform before the metal shears, I wonder how it happened? And what it may mean to the rest of the advance gearing.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wonder if its just brittle with old age. Looking at a spool I can see the metal going before the spool, its not thin plastic and there isn't really anywhere for it to deform to.

I've used epoxy putty to put together some temporary teeth. The wind is smooth and the film spacing is excellent.

Joe - Did you get my email about the waist level finder? The magnifier is saggy and I need a third hand to hold it in place!

Also anybody looked at getting mirrors for these cameras resilvered?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Update for posterity and anybody who might happen upon this page with similar faults.

New part came in about a week, used the freely available service manuals to work out how to get into the thing.
    Biggest problem is to get the film wind knob off, you need to be able to hold the film teeth with a special spanner, that would be easy if the film teeth were there, but there was nothing to grip on (Especially when its been many years since the film knob was removed, you might have better luck. Also you need a "Universal Pin face tightener", I just used a pair of snippers).
    In the end I used a small drill bit to drill the screw, as this shaft and film winder teeth are all one part anyway. Removed cleanly after about 30 seconds with a cheap electric drill on slowest speed.
    After that removing the side is easy enough. With the side off there are a dozen or so cogs, all reasonably spaced out and easy to remove with fairly obvious function.

Replaced the part, checked the paws were in the right place, back on with the casing.

Probably spent 2-3 hours, mostly trying to get the film wind knob off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A local old-school camera repair person should have several parts bodies lying around.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    Since modern plastic spools should deform before the metal shears, I wonder how it happened? And what it may mean to the rest of the advance gearing.

So it seems it happened when someone tried to take the advance knob off before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin