Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,022   Online: 920

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Mamiya C33 Seikosha-S 80mm shutter inop

My first post to this site and my first medium format camera. I picked this up dirt cheap at a Thrift store. All functions well and is in relatively good shape. However the shutter won't fire. It cocks and clicks but the blades don't move. Aperture seems to move smoothly. Are there any good tutorials online on how to disassemble and repair this? Are there known issues with this lens? Is it a common failure? I have repaired my own 35mm equipment before so I have some experience and mechanical knowledge. I really want to get this up and working. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should be able to find an inexpensive replacement lens on line. Try KEH or watch the auction sites, they are interchangable with different focal lengths, so take your pick.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    You should be able to find an inexpensive replacement lens on line. Try KEH or watch the auction sites, they are interchangable with different focal lengths, so take your pick.
    Been checking out eBay but I'd like to fix it if possible.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    If you are not a watchmaker, or have never opened a shutter to repair it, stay away. These things are full of tiny springs, gears, and other very delicate parts. Even with a complete repair diagram they arenot for the inexperienced. Either send it to a repairman or start looking for a replacement.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shutter

The above advice is good. It is easy for an inexperienced person to destroy the shutter. That said, some people remove the optical elements and flood the shutter mechanism with naphtha (lighter fluid) and get it working again. This is not recommended since proper lubricants get washed away. If the optics are good, it is time for a CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjust) by a qualified technician - or a replacement.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I took one of these apart one time. Then carefully boxed up the parts to send to the qualified person to reassemble ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to see an active forum for film enthusiasts. As everyone has stated these are pretty complex inside. But i do fine precision mechanical and electrical stuff for a living. That's why I wanted information about the procedure first. It's not that i can't handle the job. I want documentation since this is the first time I will attempt this on this particular device. I agree without proper knowledge and experience this should not be attempted, however, there's a first time for everything.
    Besides, if I open it and can fix it, then good. If not then no loss as I have to get another one anyway. As I see it I only can learn from the experience. KEH has one for $59. As well as eBay has a few I'm watching.

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you searched the internet for a service manual? I know some are available online. Would need to know the specific shutter involved.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
    Have you searched the internet for a service manual? I know some are available online. Would need to know the specific shutter involved.
    I did briefly search but came up empty. It's a Seikosha-S 80mm f2.8 Mamiya-Sekor.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Success!!!!!!!!!! Wuhoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The shutter blades needed some persuasion. Just stuck from age and lack of use i guess. I removed the lens and the chrome bezel on the front of the lens to reveal the mechanics of the lens. All was in order so I GENTLY pushed the shutter blades toward the open position while depressing the shutter release and "click!" she fired. Nice. Just kept working the shutter lever then and now seems to be working great! Yeah I know "Never touch the shutter blades!" However after looking at it I came to the conclusion these weren't moving without some help. They probably need cleaning but thats minor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin