Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,527   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Decisions, Decisions

I have a Mamiya RB67 in excellent + condition and a Hasselblad 500 cm in good condition (and am working to fix light leaks in the backs). I was thinking of selling them both to get a Pentax 67 II. I find the RB67 to be a wonderful camera, but too bulky for what I want to do (mostly landscape and street pohotography). The Hasselblad, I like, but haven't used that much.

Is this crazy talk? Does anyone have the Pentax 67 II? Do you like it? How does it compare to the Mamiya RB67 and Hasselblad 500cm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LeahMorgan View Post

Is this crazy talk?
    I'm inclined to say yes. The Pentax is not exactly small.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All those cameras you mention are great. The RB67 is a little on the heavy side, but you can switch backs.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Leah, I think if portability is the issue, you might consider a mamiya 6/6mf or 7/7ii. Yes the p67 is a very fine camera and less bulky too. But it is not without issues, so consider also the p645n and the other competing 645s. For street I think you will want fast lenses, f/2.8 or so, and fairly compact bodies. For that I think you should consider the 645 systems, in particular the p645nii and the mamiya 645 pro. But for travel and landscape and documentary, the mamiya RFs are true weapons.... tripod or no tripod.

As for me, I have just about everything and I relish the difference of all these different cameras. They are so different as to defy comparison. I use the RFs for what I described above, the 645s for anything that might involve low light and people and needs some haste. But I am always happy to deploy the rb or rz when possible, the end result is always so wonderful with those. But the main technical problem I have with the rb and rz for shooting candid/street stuff is the slow top shutter speed. Those cameras really want to be on tripods or monopods.

What I am saying is don't try to solve everything with one body!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    keep the 'blad

much easier to handhold IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've held a Pentax 67 at a local used camera store once. It's bulky and heavy. Before you commit to the exchange, I encourage you to find a way to hold it yourself.... Personally, it was too much. I couldn't picture carrying the body, few lenses, and other stuff.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I heard some problems from people about holding the P67 when taking vertical photos. Seems to be a lot of weight. Neither your Hasselblad or RB67 need to do this. If I were you I would keep them.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm in the group that thinks the Mamiya 7/7ll would be a better choice for you. Can't beat the lenses in spite of what QG will say about Hasselblad .

The Pentax is also a heavy camera with heavy lenses and a 1/30 sync speed, if you never intend to use flash, no problem.
    If you have small hands, the Hasselblad or RB will be better because of the way they're held, at waist level & braced against your body.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    I'm in the group that thinks the Mamiya 7/7ll would be a better choice for you. Can't beat the lenses in spite of what QG will say about Hasselblad .
    I'll tell you what i will say about the OP's question: yes, it certainly is crazy talk.

You now have a choice between two wonderfull cameras, each having its own strong point(s).
    And you are going to give that away for a lumpy, still unwieldy, somewhat restricted third camera?

Don't! Do keep what you have.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also consider a TLR. They have every advantage of a rangefinder and are quite compact as well. Pentax 67 couldn't be further away from what you want. Loud as all hell.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin