Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,222   Online: 944

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

One more thing

One more thing to try - check the switch on the lens. If it's set to T (timed exposure, I think), it will behave as mentioned. Make sure it's set the other way (To the left, if looking at the lens from the camera end of things). I've been caught by this before. Sometimes those switches get moved when changing lenses and it's easy to forget about them.

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another thing that can potentially make you scratch your head (but is not likely the case here): If the mirror-up socket is in the *out* position. I don´t know how it happened to me, but it sure drove me crazy for an hour or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You guys are really making me question whether I want to buy an RZ. It sounds as if there is a lot that can go wrong with the electronics, the interlocks, etc.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    You guys are really making me question whether I want to buy an RZ. It sounds as if there is a lot that can go wrong with the electronics, the interlocks, etc.
    You shouldn't be alarmed. I purchased my RZ67 about 5 years ago and had similar problems. Several of them stemmed from not reading the manual before starting to press buttons, flip switches, and "dry firing", etc. Once I learned not to switch the "M" lever unless I indeed wanted to do multiple exposures all of those problems disappeared.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Well, there are two basic philisophies, the RZ and the RB philosophy. The RZ will prevent the shutter from firing if it has any reason to believe that it is not ready for taking a picture. The RB will happily do the pic and you learn after film development that you didn't expose it at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Don't fret

the RZ67 is about the best 6x7 SLR available from anyone. It's quite reliable. Most issues (like the ones mentioned here) are user errors, not problems with the camera itself. It's good to have these interlocks, since as mentioned, it saves from missed shots on a regular basis. There's a lot to remember with a camera like this. W/o the interlocks, there would definitely be some blank frames (e.g. RB67).

I am really loving the RZ67/Mamiya 7 combo. RZ for portraits/closeups/long shots, M7 for everything else. Even though the RZ is a beast, I still have been primarily hand-holding it. It actually is easier to handhold with the grip and motor drive, even though they add weight.

-Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Charles,

I loved my RZ, in the years I used it I was never let down by it. However, as mentioned it did take me a few days with the manual and a sacrificial roll of film to figure out how everything worked.

Take the time, the images you are going to get will be worth the effort.

Best,
    Harry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once had an RZ that had a broken interlock that would allow me to shoot with the darkslide still in. As a newbie with this camera I had many instances where there were blank frames and mis-fires. I haven't had that problem with the RZ that I now have. It also helps that I now know how to use the camera. :-)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    You shouldn't be alarmed. I purchased my RZ67 about 5 years ago and had similar problems. Several of them stemmed from not reading the manual before starting to press buttons, flip switches, and "dry firing", etc. Once I learned not to switch the "M" lever unless I indeed wanted to do multiple exposures all of those problems disappeared.
    Yeh, same reply from me - read the manual, then its ingrained and for whatever reason just works from that point on ...

Also it's much more interesting dry firing it with the back off
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have RZ and really i don't like it much, it is so heavy and using it is a painful in.....!!!
    In all cases, i use it to get 6x7 format, i don't want to buy another 6x7 camera such us RB which is similar or Pentax so it is another camera and i need to buy another lens and back or Mamiya 7II and it is costing a lot as well, so i will keep using it until i can handle its cons, i was thinking to go for 6x9 format if i can find if it will be less weight and easier handle and if i want i can add a 6x6-6x7 mask to it and i can use it more than my RZ, i didn't face that problem of the OP, but if i can remember clearly, once i was shooting with RZ and the film counter didn't move and i found later that i forgot it on M mode [Multi-exposure i think], turned it back to normal and it works, really needs time to figure out how to use it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin