Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,393   Online: 1142

Thread: rolleicord 1

Shooter
    Multi Format

rolleicord 1

I'm currently restoring & servicing a Rolleicord 1 (mk2) and have two queries/thoughts.

1) what is best glue for re-sticking leatherette back on?
    2) Mirror is in a poor condition but usable so should it remain original or should it be replaced?

any thoughts??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (1) Pliobond.

(2) Replace it.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    1. Pliobond is often recommended. (I use Casco contact cement)

2. If you want to keep the original mirror (it's usually marked with the date it was silvered!) you can have it resilvered. http://www.clausing.com perhaps. Or you can have it replaced (then you often need to recollimate the viewing lens, which is easy to do on a Rolleicord I (you'll need to remove the front plate, so fix the mirror before resticking the leatherette).
    J. Patric Dahlén

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm playing with mine here now. I really like the frame counter on the Rolleicord I. The film is advanced to (1) in the red window, and then the mechanical counter is set to 1 by pushing the little button next to the counter down. The counter doesn't stop automatically when you wind the film, which can be an advantage to the Rolleicord II, as there are fewer moving parts that can be affected by dried old grease.

It has a 3,8 Triotar instead of a 3,5 because the shutter used at the time didn't allow larger apertures.

I used a bright fresnel viewing screen in it for a while, the original Rollei screen for the GX/FX which fits but is a little bit thicker. I easity adjusted the focus by removing the leatherette and screws on the front, and just tilted the front so I could loosen the set screw for the viewing lens. Then I adjusted the infinity focus on the screen and tightened the set screw. Voilà! Later I put the original ground glass back, and did the same procedure. I don't mind the darker screen.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for help. The mirror is engraved:

25/51

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Let it stay original , resilver it. I love triotar most , it might be an excellent camera.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steve prior View Post
    Thanks for help. The mirror is engraved:

25/51
    Are you sure it says 51? It usually is day/month/year.

It was coated in the 25th of something 1935. It's cool to keep and resilver the original mirror.
    J. Patric Dahlén

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin