Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,630   Online: 993

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Printing 6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I compose to the viewfinder frame therefore 35mm tend to get printed 12"x18", 6x6 tend to get printed square either 11"x11" for black and white or 12"x12" for color. On the rare time I have not filled the frame, I print to make the best composition ===> standard dimensions be damned.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the rare time I have not filled the frame, I print to make the best composition ===> standard dimensions be damned.
    I tend to cut my own mats, so it's easier to do what I want. FWIW, you can get frames intended for square photos at Michaels and ACMoore craft stores.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I tend to cut my own mats, so it's easier to do what I want. FWIW, you can get frames intended for square photos at Michaels and ACMoore craft stores.
    Also Aaron Brothers Art and Framing
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope you will find this useful:

http://dlkcollection.blogspot.com/

At the bottom of each blog page you can click on "older posts" to review even more blog entries. Within the blog there are numerous images of photography exhibits which you can click-on to view larger. It's a great way to see framing and presentation techniques currently used by some photographers and galleries. The site is regularly updated with new entries.
    Last edited by anon12345; 06-29-2010 at 02:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Personally, I either print to a square format or crop to a more standard size (8x10 or whatever), depending on the image. Square frames aren't available in the local drug stores, but they aren't hard to find online. I don't see much point to printing full-frame to a rectangular sheet of paper (unless it's for convenience when printing and it's to be trimmed later). Something like that would just look weird when framed, IMHO. I'm sure somebody will disagree, though....
    I disagree! I like to print square format on a rectangular sheet, leaving the same border width along both sides and the top. I think this looks quite nifty when framed.
    Søren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I print 6x6 neg. on 11x14 sheet and trim all sides to about 1/4 inch.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I totally agree but if I give square prints as an output, I don't want people to run into a problem when wanting to frame or something and then coming back to me angry.
    One other thing to add, you should be selling your work matted and framed. The price should reflect the "value added" , and its a very good marketing strategy, besides the increase in profit generated by the extras. People are more willing to pay the extra for a complete package and not having to deal with finding frames and mats.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    In general, I print what I like out of the negative, but assuming my neurons were firing when I composed in the viewfinder, I usually print 6x6 as square. The beauty of this is that I can precut the paper to approximately square and use the offcut for test strips. I have varied over time, but generally frame the square print optically centered in a rectangular frame, long dimension vertical.

But there's no law about it!

Same here
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    In general, I print what I like out of the negative, but assuming my neurons were firing when I composed in the viewfinder, I usually print 6x6 as square. The beauty of this is that I can precut the paper to approximately square and use the offcut for test strips. I have varied over time, but generally frame the square print optically centered in a rectangular frame, long dimension vertical.

But there's no law about it!
    That's my preference, but I had to frame some 6x6 images last year that people had bought and there was a great price on some square frames at a local store £7 ($10) when I was in the UK and I was surprised how good the framed images looked.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends on how I "saw" the picture when I composed it in the viewfinder, and how well it balances in the square frame, I look at the contact sheet with a couple of "L" frames and see if the composition can be improved by making it a vertical or a horizontal and mark it with a grease pencil, I try not to be rigid about it 6X6 was devised to be able to crop it, although I try to use the whole neg if I can.
    Ben

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin