Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,563   Online: 767

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Printing 6X6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Printing 6X6

Hi Guys-
    I was wondering, when working with 6x6, what is the most standard way to print? To print on a paper in full frame and just leave the boarder around the image so that it can be put in a stadard frame, to print but crop after printing to get a square print or do some people crop in the darkroom turning the image into the rectangular format?

Thanks

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I no longer shoot 6x6, but when I print these negs, I always look at the result I wish to achieve.

If it all works well, I'll print full frame and ensure that the image is "weighted" nicely to the size paper I am printing on. I'm not really one for "exactly in the middle" images when I print my 6x6 (sometimes it's the same for my 6x7 and 35mm also). If I need to crop - that will alter how I compose the final print on the paper - more often than not it will still be "weighted", just a question of placement.

Everyone will have their own preferences and that will definitely show in the answers you will get!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Personally, I either print to a square format or crop to a more standard size (8x10 or whatever), depending on the image. Square frames aren't available in the local drug stores, but they aren't hard to find online. I don't see much point to printing full-frame to a rectangular sheet of paper (unless it's for convenience when printing and it's to be trimmed later). Something like that would just look weird when framed, IMHO. I'm sure somebody will disagree, though....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I start doing portraits, I guess I should ask the client how they would like it? I guess there is no standard way?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 6x6 shots are cropped square with my print easel to the edge of the image leaving a 1" white border. I never crop any format further.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    When I start doing portraits, I guess I should ask the client how they would like it? I guess there is no standard way?
    I agree.

If it's personal work though, I'd leave it there unless I had a compelling reason to remove it. Either way, I don't think it's a really big deal at all. The image should probably have the ability to look great either way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My 6x6 shots are cropped square with my print easel to the edge of the image leaving a 1" white border. I never crop any format further.

Ian
    So is the result a square paper or rectangular one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My cropping choices are generally dictated by the image. Some images can work printed either square or rectangular. For those, I let the proposed final use dictate the crop.

My framing choices are dictated by the intended use of the print. This includes albums.

Sometimes you can solve any problems that arise with custom mats.

If you know what the intended use for your prints will be (e.g. rectangular frames) you can take that into account when composing your shots.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Custom mats are a great idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I strive not to adhere to standards when originality is the primary objective. The shape of the negative should have no bearing on the shape of the final print. From a 6x6cm negative I might choose to print for a rectangular, square, panoramic, circular, or even an oval presentation. As others have mentioned, the elements within the chosen composition should dictate the size and shape of the final print.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin