Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,009   Online: 1041

Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya 135mm help!!

I am about to buy a c330 thats in great condition with a 135mm 4.5 Sekor lens. But the problem is, I cant hardly find ANY information about this lens. Do any of you have any experience (good or bad) with this lens and/or any pictures taken with it? I'm hoping its a good enough lens to use for portraits and such until I get an 80mm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a black, blue dot Mamiya 135mm lens for my Mamiya TLRs.

I really like using it. It works well for portraits, as well as for landscape work. It is sharp, and gives good contrast.

It is also reasonably small and light.

It focuses as close as 90 cm, giving a 1:5.5 magnification ratio.

The camera and lens you have pictured shows a C220 with a chrome series lens. Your post mentions a C330. Is the camera and lens pictured the one you are considering? If so, you should be aware that it is difficult to obtain parts for the shutters in the chrome series lenses.

In case you don't already have it, here is a link to Graham Patterson's excellent Mamiya TLR resource:

http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...aq-mamiya.html

Graham also posts here on APUG.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have that lens for my C220. I've used it mainly for portraits, and I find it very good in that application. I think it's a bit too long for general street shooting, but for that I use either the 80 or the 105. It's true that the "chrome lenses are difficult to have repaired. There are quite old and the supply of parts for them is scarce. But if the lens and shutter are in good condition, it should serve you well for a long time. These things were designed to be used by working event photographers and they're not all that delicate.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Urban,
    Welcome to 6x6 and TLR. Based upon my experience, I think you shall find the 135s to be excellent lenses.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    haha, i just realized i posted a picture of a c220. My bad. I'm actually looking to buy a c330.

For my needs though, its looking like I should just hold out for a 80mm. Funds are tight, I'm thinking I should just spend money on what fits my needs exactly

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by urbandiscooo View Post
    For my needs though, its looking like I should just hold out for a 80mm. Funds are tight, I'm thinking I should just spend money on what fits my needs exactly
    I would think a 135mm lens would be more suitable for portraits than an 80mm (although your exact intent might dictate otherwise).

80mm on 6x6 format is usually considered to be a standard lens much like the 50mm lens is on 35mm film.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by urbandiscooo View Post
    haha, i just realized i posted a picture of a c220. My bad. I'm actually looking to buy a c330.

You can pick up a black 80mm lens for not much money later. Try keh.com.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using the black blue dot 135mm lens pair for more than twenty years and it's a wonderful portrait lens with the advantage that it takes the same hood as the standard 80mm lens.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin