Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,213   Posts: 1,532,110   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keith beat me to the draw but what do all of the great sports photographers with heavy long lenses use???? A monopod...then the prism is doable as well. If you don't want to do the monopod then I would get a handle. I was suprised how much it helps.

Love my RB!!!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Using a prism finder will speed up your shooting - especially if it's metered. If you've got the RZ67 Pro you can choose from the PD and AE Finder - if you're using the ProII you can't use the PD Finder and the original AE Finder needs modification for full compatibility - only the AE Finder II is guaranteed to work. If you love using a waist level finder, Mamiya did make one with metering and a variable magnifier - I have one and it's superb though becoming very hard to find.

Many events organisers don't welcome monopods from non-accredited togs so be careful. As already suggested, the L-grips make holding the RZ a doddle, even with heavy glassware attached. I would suggest that, unless you are using the Power Winder, you buy any one of the trigger grips for the RB67 as they're always cheaper than the dedicated electronic switch version for the RZ. The RB grips use a mechanical linkage that simply presses the shutter button when you depress the switch on the grip. Even better, several versions have a flash cold-shoe attached. If you are using a prism finder, the perfect support is the RB's vertical trigger grip which sits under the camera body - I noticed one on ebay last week.

If you're going to be shooting in the dark, you may want to try the 110mm lens which at f2.8 is pretty fast by 6x7 standards; there are some good depth of focus/depth of field charts on the web. With the quality of Kodak/Fuji 400ASA colour film combined with that of Mamiya lenses, you need not worry too much about getting in close to your subjects - you can crop a small area of a 6x7 image and blow it up and you'll still be pleasantly surprised by the resulting photo. An old 65 Z lens is probably enough for wide-angle needs (and they're cheap unlike the new L/A version) but if you're not looking for wide shots, then the old 127 Z 3.5 would make a good alternative to a 90 3.5 as a standard lens or the faster 110mm. The 150 f3.5W would also be a good option... Of course, if you're shooting in good light, pretty much any lens is going to be OK. Have fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Very true

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    The prism gives you eye-level viewing, and (more importantly for some) doesn't reverse things right to left, which helps a lot if you need to track movement.
    Some have meters. Also, you get a better view of the focus screen, since there isn't extra light spilling in.
    Otherwise, they just add weight.
    I like the prism just for that reason. I used to use Polaroids to check for composition before I got my prisim on ebay. My RB prism on my RZ doesn't meter. I think it weights as much as the body without the lens. But it's a big chunk of glass. It's a manly camera with it's prism. I think the RZ with a prism would be for shooting Scottish games. I'll bet a burly Scotsman will have an easier time tossing a caber than an RZ
    Last edited by Mainecoonmaniac; 07-01-2010 at 02:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I survived. I only had a 90mm lens and WLF. I do have a nice shoulder strap and handle but only use the handl when I need flash. I did take a 35mm camera as well. It was fun but was a little embarrassed when a friend asked "what are you doing with that big camera?". I did have fun taking photos of people without being noticed since you don't have to face the person while you're looking into the WLF.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Big camera. Needs handle.

Major advantage to prism viewer with meter is that it allows one to meter a bit more accurately rather then using a handheld meter imo. Major disadvantage is weight.

If it is a concert, make sure they allow personal private heavy equipment. It's not an "average" camera. Especially today with big brother watching everything, may spook some overly zealous badge wearing honcho. Yo don't taser me bro!
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfTales View Post
    Big camera. Needs handle.

Major advantage to prism viewer with meter is that it allows one to meter a bit more accurately rather then using a handheld meter imo. Major disadvantage is weight.

If it is a concert, make sure they allow personal private heavy equipment. It's not an "average" camera. Especially today with big brother watching everything, may spook some overly zealous badge wearing honcho. Yo don't taser me bro!
    It was a free concert in the National Park so no problem getting the camera in. I use a handle when I need a flash but I have a nice shoulder strap that makes carrying the camera without a handle easy. As far as metering, is concerned I metered once and when the light changed I just opened up a little. I figured I couldn't go wrong since film has a latitude and I was just doing candid "snap shots" with expired film. I wasn't there as a pro.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin