Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,412   Online: 759

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Agfa Isolette II - wrong lens?

Hi folks. OK I admit I'm a Mamiya medium format fan but someone has just given me an Agfa Isolette II with a flash and I'm bemused. I checked on the model and 3 lenses are listed as standard variants. However, the lens I have is not; it's an Agfa Solinar 4.5/85 with a Synchro-Compur shutter. It's certainly not covered in the instruction manual and is significantly different from the 3 standard lenses.

Do any of the wise heads here know much about this odd beast?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~yue/misc/AnscAgfa.html says the 85/4.5 Solinar was the high-end option on the Isolette II and III up until 1956; and Juergen Kreckel's price list at http://www.certo6.com/buy.html mentions the combination but says "very RARE".

Tessar type, as far as I know. It should be good---no one seems to have a bad word to say about Agfa folders except regarding the bellows. (Bellowses? Bellowsen?)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Agreed with ntenny. I think that's the nicest lens/shutter combination you can have on the Isolette II. Assuming the front standard is aligned correctly, it should produce great results, especially using the middle apertures.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Green with envy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys for the clarification and the links.

I'm not sure what to do about this delightful camera - the slow speeds are pretty poor so the Compur shutter needs to be cleaned. Glad to say that the bellows are substantial and intact and the glass appears clear. I'm not sure who can clean this in the UK so it's rather a distraction at the moment - I may end up just selling it. But definitely NOT before putting in a roll of Velvia and seeing what she can do...

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a different model of Isolette that I was considering re-doing to use as a walk around camera; I contacted Richard Ritter who said he could CLA and replace bellows for about $150-175 (£100-125 but don't quote me on the prices). I thought it was reasonable to bring a dead camera back to life. About 6 week turn around.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Kevin, thanks for the suggestion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Assuming "slow" speeds means below 1/25 or so, I think you can ignore them for many realistic uses. I have Compurs on which the slow-speed escapement is totally dysfunctional, and it doesn't seem to affect the faster speeds at all.

I don't know about you, but I can't consistently handhold the slow speeds anyway, and if I'm going to carry around a tripod I'm probably using a TLR or large format rather than a folder. I wouldn't worry about it if the camera is otherwise OK.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posted wirelessly..

One of the beauties of these folders is that with a microtripod (I have a 7 in. Manfrotto that I use with a Perkeo), you're armed with a formidable combination for ultracompact medium format work. I've hiked with them and taken really great landscapes with very little impact on pack weight. If you see yourself doing something similar then get the shutter cla'd. If not, then ntenny is totally right, you won't handhold at those speeds.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Assuming "slow" speeds means below 1/25 or so, I think you can ignore them for many realistic uses. I have Compurs on which the slow-speed escapement is totally dysfunctional, and it doesn't seem to affect the faster speeds at all.
    I agree. Whilst it is nice to have it working through the whole range, a sticky slow escapement will not affect the faster speeds.

I have a Zeiss folder in this state which works perfectly at 1/25 and faster but sticks on the slower speeds.

The best feature of these cameras is their portability so if you consider it as a compact carry around camera which will always be used hand held, the slower speed problem doesn't matter as the speeds appropriate for hand holding are still o.k.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin