Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,667   Posts: 1,481,714   Online: 791

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jon koss View Post
    Yes - This is a good tip. Just check to see if the ST has been cocked. If so, then a tiny bit of manual pressure may coax the ST along until it releases the shutter. Also, if you can get a drop of lube into the self timer train, then it may allow the ST to run down and let the shutter trip. Just do not recock the ST. The camera may run fine after that. Good luck.

Jon
    Try opening the camera and placing it under an incandescnt desk lamp over night. Then try the movement of the ST as suggested. Sometimes warming up the congealed grease can free things up until you get a proper CLA.

My first "real" camera was a Yashica D.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Yashica D is a very robust camera. I doubt if anything is seriously wrong other than needing a CLA. I have 2 that I used for wedding photography in the 70's & 80's that are still going strong. Regular CLA's have kept them in very good shape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Have you tried pushing in the film wind button and winding the film winding knob?
    That has nothing to do with the shutter on a 'D' as they are not coupled. You can cock and fire the shutter all day long and not wind film (unwittingly or apurpose). My best guess is the ST is cocked and stuck, check to see if it is pushed toward the bottom of the lens housing. It may have gotten partially moved, and just needs to be gently nudged to finish activating.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    The ST lever does not move, it is not in the cocked position. Also I moved the shutter speed to B, and it will not move out of that position now. I did this long after noting that the shutter would not fire, so it wasn't the initial problem, but I read that it should not be moved once the shutter is cocked. If, in fact the shutter is cocked as many of you believe, did I add to the problem?

Still waiting to hear from the seller, but tending toward sending it in to Dean's. I will try warming it up, but I'm not real optimistic at this point. Worth a shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The place to send it, not talking bad about Dean, is Mark Hama. I sent two of my Yashica Mat's to him and for $160.00 each (that included shipping) I got both back in "as new" condition and have had no problems with either of them in the two years and hundreds of rolls of film. Mark was a Yashica tech before they closed up shop and he bought all of the parts and tooling. In my mind he is the Yashica Guru to go to, I have never dealt with Dean so I can not speak to his work on these cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I believe Mark Hama's price on a 'D overhaul is less than $160. Much simpler camera. And the nice thing is that pretty well any Copal MXV shutter from a 'Mat can be popped into the body and it'll be good to go. I put a 10-bladed aperture shutter from a busted EM into my Yashinon-lensed 'D and it works well, with very nice bokeh. So even if your shutter is broken, not just gummed up, it's not hard to get a working shutter into place.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, still no response from the seller. I'll take responsibility for possibly making the situation worse, but the shutter was not operating as advertised in the first place, so I am annoyed that the seller has not responded. I've never left negative feedback, don't really want to. Will give the seller the benefit of the doubt for a few more days, till after the holiday weekend. This is a fairly prolific camera seller on Ebay, so he should know at least the basics of what he's selling.

Thanks to all for your replies.

EDIT: I also mentioned in another thread that I had also bid and won a Yashica A. It arrived from Canada yesterday, and appears to be operating flawlessly. I'm not "TOTALLY" incompetent with these shutters. :-)

I'll be running some film through this camera today. Got this one nice and cheap. Not in pristine condition, but not a beater either.
    Last edited by LyleB; 07-03-2010 at 07:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before you leave negative feed back, get in touch with eBay support. they helped me out when I got a camera and lens that was not as advertised, unless they make two piece lenses now and nobody told me. Anyways, they should be able to get the seller to co-operate with you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just an update:

Still no response from the seller, this guy is on my permanent "Do Not Buy" list. Knight Camera if anyone is considering buying from him.

I sent the Yashica D to Dean for a CLA/repair. Sent it in exactly one week ago tomorrow, he received the camera this past Saturday afternoon, and today notified me that it was finished, and that he had run a roll of film through it, and it was working well, as Dean put it - "It's a good shooter." Stated that it was indeed a gummed-up shutter, as many of you suspected. He will be sending it back to me in tomorrow's mail. Total charge $59 + shipping/insurance.

Having to have the CLA kinda blew any "good deal" that I got, but now I should have a fine camera to play with for quite some time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn, I just bought a few bay I tele lenses from Knight and they are beautiful. I bought a camera from another seller the same day and it still hasn't arrived. I bought a Yashica 24 for parts that has the same problem yours did. I may have to try Dean as this camera is to nice to just part out. Got it dirt cheap too so that's a plus. Good to hear that your "D" has been resurrected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin