Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,422   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Yashica D Question

I just received a Yashica D that I purchased from Ebay. The camera looks great, however I cannot get the shutter to fire. The cocking lever seems to move very freely, without doing anything, no resistance. Same with the shutter release, moves without any resistance. The shutter does not trip.

Any suggestions? I mean other than returning the camera or sending it in for a costly repair. Anything to try?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think you've covered the main options, alas.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, return it or send it for CLA. The shutter is probably already cocked but can't fire due to hardened grease, dirt or a mechanical problem.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I could have been fired on self-timer, but the timer is gummed up and won't count-down. (CLA would fix that).

I'd consult someone who fixes/cla's yashicas and take their advice on whether to return it or send it in.

http://www.deansphotographica.com/de...pair_page.html is where I sent my yashica-C.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks folks.

I've fired off emails to KEH and also Dean Photographica. I've used KEH before and been very satisfied, but they were more expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    WOW!!!!

I sent an email to Dean Photographica, and less than 1/2 hour later I had a reply. He concurs that a CLA will probably solve the problem. Price quoted seems very reasonable. Just waiting to hear back from the seller now.

Thanks for the tip.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have you tried pushing in the film wind button and winding the film winding knob?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Have you tried pushing in the film wind button and winding the film winding knob?

Yeah, doing that does nothing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes - This is a good tip. Just check to see if the ST has been cocked. If so, then a tiny bit of manual pressure may coax the ST along until it releases the shutter. Also, if you can get a drop of lube into the self timer train, then it may allow the ST to run down and let the shutter trip. Just do not recock the ST. The camera may run fine after that. Good luck.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I could have been fired on self-timer, but the timer is gummed up and won't count-down. (CLA would fix that).
    I'd consult someone who fixes/cla's yashicas and take their advice on whether to return it or send it in.
    http://www.deansphotographica.com/de...pair_page.html is where I sent my yashica-C.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make sure that the flash sync lever is on X and not M when you use the self timer.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin