Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,682   Online: 945

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I dunno, sometimes there are beautiful mistakes in the double exposures. Maybe the universe is trying to tell you something :-)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I can never decide if I want to cock the shutter of my Diana camera before or after each shot -- so I end up with a few blank negs and some double exposures -- and have one particularly nice image that was an accidental double exposure, so I can't complain! What is the old saying...Expose for the light, develop for the surprises...something like that! LOL!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My practice has been to wind Before rather than after, because I don't like to leave springs tensioned. I'm not sure how much danger there is of them acquiring memory, but I expect there is some, especially if I leave the camera unused for some time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That is why I can't decide to do it before or after. Also, when using folders, I also worry about changing shutter speeds while the shutter is already cocked -- especially with shutters that use two different springs for short and longer exposure times.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before. After. Before. After.

Hasselblad recommends that the cameras and lenses always be left cocked all the time. They designed the equipment for that.

Graflex and Speed Graphics should have the tension released on the focal plan shutters.

Except for the Graflex and Graphic I wind as soon as I take a photograph.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Before. After. Before. After.

Except for the Graflex and Graphic I wind as soon as I take a photograph.

Steve
    A recipe for confusion, for sure. Better to select the lesser of two evils and standardize accordingly, at least for this guy, who is:

1. ADD (therefore, quite prone to distraction)
    2. getting old (loosing reliability of memory)

If you don't yet have a problem with the second mentioned, you will, sooner than you think! Habits become more important.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Steve -- I just checked my Speed Graphic -- and yep, there was tension on the focal plane shutter. Now released (after years of being under tension). It is a little relunctant to go from 1.5 to T and T to 0. Should one set the spring tension at any particular setting during non-use (mine has 6 spring tension settings)?

Vaughn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This highlights the only advantage I've discovered so far of also having a shutter that requires manual cocking.

When I'm using my cameras that don't have double exposure prevention, I always wind the film immediately after taking a shot. I wait, however, until I'm ready to take the next shot before cocking the shutter.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can leave tension on springs and nothing will happen to them.
    Perhaps some creep. But before you notice any effect of that, you'll children's children will be telling stories about the good old days when they were young to their children's children.

So whatever you decide, before or after, don't decide to go with 'before' because of fears about what keeping a spring tensioned might do. For it does nothing.

Spring tension does nothing to the metal they are made of, unless you put so much tension on them that they break. So it doesn't matter either at what setting you keep them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Thanks Steve -- I just checked my Speed Graphic -- and yep, there was tension on the focal plane shutter. Now released (after years of being under tension). It is a little relunctant to go from 1.5 to T and T to 0. Should one set the spring tension at any particular setting during non-use (mine has 6 spring tension settings)?

Vaughn
    Probably T. I am not sure as I am only getting involved with Speed and Graflex shutters. Check www.graflex.org.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin