Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,411   Online: 885

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Thanks Matt, I don't use any flash what-so-ever, so that is not an issue. Can you explain why the Mamiya system works better for you?

Also, weight and bulk are considering factors too.
    You should learn to use flash if you really want to improve your photography. If that isn't really the goal, then just buy another system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding View Post
    You should learn to use flash if you really want to improve your photography. If that isn't really the goal, then just buy another system.
    I know about flash and I do not see a big deal. Hasselblad lenses synch with all strobes at all shutter speeds and one guide number is good for all shutter speeds because the Hasselblad has a leaf shutter. Since the OP is not interested in using flash, he does not need to get into the off the film flash control of the CX, CXi and CW. See, not a big deal to learn about.

The OP has Hasselblad film backs. If he goes with the Mamiya he will have two types of film backs and I can tell him that is a real pain in the butt.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Mamiya 645 is a good budget system choice for the format. Strong sales means there's a reservoir of decent quality bodies, lenses and accessories at good prices. The only must-have accessory for me was a motor grip that greatly improves the iffy ergonomics of the body. But don't you already have a 645 system, albeit a rangefinder? A contrarian option is to go up to 6x7 and to look into the Mamiya RB67--big but remarkably versatile with good lenses. Got one+a couple of lenses last summer and can't stop shooting it. Good thing my Mamiya 645 and Bronica SQ-B kits aren't the jealous kind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Hasselblad - Ask the man that owns one.
    But take his word with a grain of salt. Whatever you happen to use, you will eventually think favourably about it: http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert..._we_happy.html

In this case I completely agree, though: Brian already owns a Hasselblad SWC which is a more substantial start into the system as may be apparant at first sight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I can only pass along my experience. I started with a Mamiya C220. It was OK. I then tried a Pentax 645. Lenses were fantastic and the price was right. I hated the camera. Finally, bought a Hasselblad and realized that I loved the square and loved the ergonomics of the camera. If you like the sqaure, get the Hasselblad if you can swing it or a Bronica if you can't. For me, the format is more important than anything else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    Well, I can only pass along my experience. I started with a Mamiya C220. It was OK. I then tried a Pentax 645. Lenses were fantastic and the price was right. I hated the camera. Finally, bought a Hasselblad and realized that I loved the square and loved the ergonomics of the camera. If you like the sqaure, get the Hasselblad if you can swing it or a Bronica if you can't. For me, the format is more important than anything else.
    I went from the Mamiya C-330 directly to Hasselblad for the same reasons.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Hasselblad - Ask the man that owns one. [Credit given to Packard Motor Company.]
    But take his word with a grain of salt. Whatever you happen to use, you will eventually think favourably about it: http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert..._we_happy.html

In this case I completely agree, though: Brian already owns a Hasselblad SWC which is a more substantial start into the system as may be apparant at first sight.
    Please no salt. I try to minimize it.

Steve

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Matt, the reason I don't have a wide angle lens in my group is because I have an SWC, and also a 50mm for the Mamiya 6, and a 45mm for the RF645. So I've certainly got the wide angle lenses covered. The main thing I'm looking for with either system is telephoto lenses.

GWC, I do already have the 6x4.5 format in the Bronica rangefinder, but I only have two lenses, a 65 and a 45. I feel there's no too many options there besides use as a hand-held or hiking camera, which it is great for! 6x7 is not a format for me. I've tried it in the past and don't particularly care for it.

Mark, I agree with you. I love the 6x6 format. Square is great, and I think I'm leaning more towards the blad because I can get 6x6 and 6x4.5 all in one camera, whereas if I went the Mamiya route, to go square I would lose a lot of negative.

I'm still thinking. But, like I said, I'm really leaning towards the Hasselblad simply because I already have backs and because of being able to shoot square and 6x4.5 at the same time, and not having to turn the camera on a tripod (sounds simply, but is really annoying after a while).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "The other question is reliability. I would imagine the Hasselblad system would stand up to use better than the Mamiya 645. How about the electronics in the newer 645 models? And problems?"

If new, the Hasselblad would be on top. However, used, it may have more than its share of wear and tear. Of course, the same may be said of other cameras, however, more likely to have been in amateur use and have better care.

If both were equal, it seems the Hasselblad would make more sense and is what your preference is anyway.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin