Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,046   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Hasselblad Lens Question

Thanks to a trade with a fellow APUG member I will soon be shooting with a Hasselblad 500C/M.

I've been looking at lenses on eBay for it and was wondering what is the difference between the "T", "C", and "CF" lenses.

Thanks!!

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hello.
    First, may I congratulate you on your choice; I am still using my 500CM and would not dream of getting rid of it, it is a real no frills work horse and the basis of an excellent system.
    The 'C' lenses were introduced in 1957 and are fitted with the renowned Carl Zeiss Compur shutter which is fully sync. on all speeds to 1/500 sec.

The 'CF' lenses were introduced in 1980 for use with the 2000FC camera body which has a focal plane shutter with speeds to 1/2000 sec. These lenses do not have shutters built into them. They have a limited sync. speed of 1/90 sec. only.
    However the 2000FC can be used with 'C' lenses giving the camera the useful addition of a choice of fast shutter, the focal plane, or the compur with sync. speed up to 1/500.
    I also have this camera, again I would not part with it, and it is in use regularly.

The 'T' marking on a Hasselblad lens is a designation, showing that the particular lens is multicoated. All lenses since 1957 are designated 'T' lenses. The coating system is rather involved, I do not consider it necessary to go any deeper unless specifically asked to do so.
    For any further information - just shout!

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Stan,

I am not sure I follow you here. I have CF T* lenses that I use with my 500 CM and they all have shutters built into them and I can sync them at any shutter speed as I just did a portrait the other day syncing at 1/500th.

I also just sent a 150 CF lens in for repair and the shutter was replaced in the lens.

So I am not sure as to what you are saying buy saying the CF lenses have no shutter in them as all of mine do.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan. L-B
    Hello.
    First, may I congratulate you on your choice; I am still using my 500CM and would not dream of getting rid of it, it is a real no frills work horse and the basis of an excellent system.
    Thanks for the info Stan!

I've been wanting to get a Hasselblad for awhile now and when this opportunity for the trade came up I had to do it.

I still have a nice Mamiya 645 Pro/TL system, but If I like the Hasselblad as much as I think I will it will probably get sold to add more lenses and stuff to the Hasselblad.

Thanks again!!

Jim

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I just remembered that in CF make lenses with and without shutters (FE). ALl mine have the shutters in them.

THIS PLANAR LENS is characterised by an extremely uniformb edge-to-edge sharpness at all apertures, resulting from the excellent correction of all lens aberrations. As indicated by its name, the astigmatic flatness of the image field is outstanding. The 80mm Planar is available with and without shutter enabling all Hasselblad SLR cameras to be used with this standard focal length. The FE (non built-in shutter lenses) version is provided with the same optical specifications. Considered as a "standard" lens in the 6X6 format. One of the most versatile lens, good speed, and very high optical quality.
    Kev

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm fairly sure that the older "C" (only) lenses were equipped with Compur shutters; later, Hasselblad moved to Prontor shutters and designated them "CF" (I would assume they meant to indicate that they could be used as either "Compur Type" (between-the-lens), or Focal Plane Type - without an internal shutter.

"F" type lenses are desinged for use on cameras with focal plane shutters only... they are not quite the same in design - a few have larger maximum apertures... e.g., there is a f/2.0 80mm "F" lens, where the maximum for the 80mm "C" or "CF" is f/2.8.

The "FE" types are equipped with the electrical contacts necessary for use in the auto-exposure models ... 201FE, 205FE... (not quite sure of the precise models.)

The "T" - Actually, "T*", indicates the use of the newest multi-layed coating on the lens.
    Last edited by Ed Sukach; 07-17-2004 at 05:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I can go back to 1948 and the 1600F that was fitted with a focal plane shutter of 1/1600.
    I used this camera in the early fifties in the Middle East. Then came the 1000F which was just a marketing ploy, this was replaced by the 500C with the Compur BTL Shutter to 1/500.
    When they decided to introduce the new focussing screen they change the title to 500CM.

Any information required about any Hasselblad Sinar or Nikon, just shout.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CM = Completely Magical, enjoy it !

While you're on eBay look out for Wildi - Hasselblad Manual Fourth Edition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    ...was wondering what is the difference between the "T", "C", and "CF" lenses.
    Jim,

Check out this site with a good explanation: http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/hassylenses.html

Hope that helps.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I second the medmt.8k link. the info on there is indespensible.
    Jim the hassy should be to you shortly. Probly today I bet.
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. (damn those expensive german optics and my meager budget)
    altho Im really looking forward to the Mamiya. Having a longer lens will be fun to experiment with.
    From my limited knowledge the C CM T* designation mainly geared around the year of its introduction and the coating/multi coating.
    All I know is Ive been floored by the lens and after it was CLA'd its been so smooth and the timings on the shutter are SPOT on.

enjoy.

[scooter wipes away the solitary tear of nostalgia]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin