Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,470   Online: 913

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Get my "G" to go topless

I don't know if this is the correct way to go about this but I received my small grid glass for my Yashica Mat 124G and now I can not figure out how to get the hood off. I removed the three screws on each side that hold the brackets for the door but the hood still refuses to budge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure quite what you unscrewed, on the 124 there's two screws either side of the screen holder, when removed you pull back slightly as you lift the waist level fonder off.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahhhh, now I see those teeny tiny little screws... Damn, I don't have a screwdriver that small. This may present a problem, i had planned to go shot some scenery today with the new screen, oh well. Thanks Ian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending your location (USA) you should be able to secure a set of small electronics screwdrivers from Radio Shack, or even one of the big box home remodeling places.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The usual small screwdrivers have the wrong profile, you need JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) which grip a whole lot better. This page http://www.centralhobbies.com/Tools/jis.html explains it, please note I'm not endorsing the vendor, they're just the first hit I got on Google (and I don't endorse Google either).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    The usual small screwdrivers have the wrong profile, you need JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) which grip a whole lot better. This page http://www.centralhobbies.com/Tools/jis.html explains it, please note I'm not endorsing the vendor, they're just the first hit I got on Google (and I don't endorse Google either).
    Thanks for the info Paul, I was going to get a set from RS but now i will hold off and order the correct set. I know from experience as a pistol smith that the right screw driver makes all the difference in the world. I'm also glad to hear that you are not a GP.
    By the way, do you know who is responsible for the JIP?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What? Phillips' head screws are pretty standard. They make miniature versions as well. Take your camera with you and check the fit before you buy it. Radio Shack, Sears, True Value, someone will have them.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Thanks for the info Paul, I was going to get a set from RS but now i will hold off and order the correct set. I know from experience as a pistol smith that the right screw driver makes all the difference in the world. I'm also glad to hear that you are not a GP.
    By the way, do you know who is responsible for the JIP?
    The 4 screws we are talking about are nothing special, a cheap set of jewellers screwdrivers is more than sufficient.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ian, while regular jewellers screwdrivers will work JIS ones work a lot better. If you have a screw that is partly seized you stand a good chance of destroying it with normal phillips head screwdrivers. The JIS ones fit much better and allow more force to be used. The difference is like using metric spanners on imperial bolts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't realise phillips screwdriver could be used on a straight cut screw

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin