Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,611   Online: 715

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

GAS attack: I bought a Mamiya 7ii ... now having second thoughts!

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this thread, but I guess it's more a cry for re-assurance that I'm not a total idiot.

My background: avid amateur / enthusiast, I have been shooting dSLR's for several years, but recently got back into film. I have been slowly amassing a tidy collection of wonderful film cameras (35mm and medium format).

On an online forum (not APUG) this past weekend, I innocently scanned the classifieds and came across a Mamiya 7ii & 80mm lens for a very reasonable price. Instantly couldn't help myself, and thoughts raced through my mind: the Legendary Mamiya lens quality! The massive 6x7 negatives! Oh the possibilities!

GAS attack clouded my better judgment, and a few minutes later I had PayPal'ed a small fortune to a total stranger for a camera I had never seen.

Someone please re-assure me! This wasn't a bad move, was it?

Shooter
    35mm
    the 7ii is freaking sweet and a worthy GAS purchase.
    If you don't want it, i'll trade you for it and use the crap out of it.
    Toledo Camera Trader and photojournalist

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have just bought into one of the finest medium format systems available. The lenses are among the best. Really empress yourself by shooting some chromes and then view them on a light table. You will be wowed.

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, TheSognly ... that's the kind of hand-holding I'm looking for. In all truth, I'm really looking forward to trying this beast out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good advice, rpsawin -- I have some Velvia in the fridge that's whispering to me at the moment...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bobby,

I love my kit. I use it for landscapes, seascapes and urban/industrial shooting and it's great. If I had to scale back to one system this would be it.

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I spoke with a professional photographer who was selling a Hasselblad, Leica and a dozen a bunch of other systems he'd used in the past. I asked him if he was keeping anything given the variety of gear he was selling.

He said he was shooting 4x5 and would always keep his Mamiya 7. He sounded very attached to the system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for everyone's comments about this issue. I have limited experience in medium format, currently owning a very beat-up (but functional) Pentax 6x7, and a Fuji GA645zi ... both are very interesting to use, but each has its limitations and drawbacks. I'm hoping the M7ii will bridge the gap and provide the amazing image quality and functionality that I am seeking.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You have nothing to fear but fear itself. Stop the whining. Make pictures.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been lusting for a 7 for a LONG time. Alas, the RZ67 system is much more within my financial reach. Someday I expect GAS will get me, though. Good luck with that 7, and know that if you don't like it, you can always sell it for at least what you paid for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin