Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,847   Online: 947

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yashica 24 questions

I have a yashica 24 that has a few issues thus the reason for the cheap price. The timer lever will not budge, the film advance cranks and stops as it should but sounds like a coffee grinder, the trigger works but the shutter does not activate and there is something missing on the left side (camera facing away from you) that is labeled "exposure meter switch". It almost looks like a stero jack with the chrome bezel and an empty hole and the label has a finger pointing at it hmmm. I would pimento get it working if I can without sending it off for repair, but if I have to then I will. Any ideas? I originally bought it as a parts Camera but it is in to good of shape to relegate it to the parts bin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the left side there is a momentary type switch to turn on the meter, is that what you are refering to? The other items on the left are (IIRC)focus, spool release knobs, and battery compartment. You can find an owners manual at butkus.com for it. There may be other sites on-line with more info.

Just a thought, is the flash synch pointing to X , must be to activate self timer, or possibly damage shutter if not.. Also is the shutter cocked, you may need to wind until the counter indicates a frame number(1)before it will fire. Opening the back resets the counter.
    Last edited by Rick A; 07-06-2010 at 06:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you see the "Yashica D" repair manuals here? They may be of some help. Good luck!

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/repairmanuals.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would think that the D is sufficiently different from the "12" series as to be unhelpful. And, of course, the Yash 24 only takes 220 film, so it might not be worth the effort.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right now there is no switch there just a hole with a pretty chrome bezel. The synch switch is on M now and has been the timer is jammed somehow and it doesn't matter what position the synch is in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's details of the camera here.

It sounds like some ones jammed the shutter then started to have a go at repairing the camera. As Anscojohn said there's a bit of an issue with it only accepting 220 film which is getting much rarer, very little choice anyway.

Ian

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had understood that the 24's will take 120 - not officially, of course, but it works and was a primary reason for the 124 models. I don't have one- this is only what I have read. Does anyone know one way or t'other?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With some films the backing paper snags the pressure plate when you reach the point where the film is taped to it. If the camera's already worn you run the risk of damaging the wind mechanism as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have proof and I am going to spread it to the world, be it may, the forces of darkness prevail. The 24 WILL take 120 film. If I can just figure out how to get a pic up on the forum, Damn this intolerable techno deficiency disorder. Inside the back on the underside of the camera is a tag that indicates where to start the film for 120.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does it have a moveable pressure plate?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin