Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,180   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the cut film backs on my Mamiya Super 23 for two reasons. 1. For close-up work you can use the ground glass for focus and composition - otherwise difficult on a RF camera. 2. Sometimes I just want one or two shots right now and hate to waste a roll of film. I have an old but like new FR sheet film developing tank that works fine for this.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been doing a little research on these and there are certainly some advantages to using it but the one major drawback I see is that I would have to buy more holders and from what I have seen that means buying the back that comes with it. That's all fine and dandy if I use it on my 'cord but if I buy several sets that means I have to buy more Rollei's to fit them to. It's the old "we-got-new-curtains-now-we-need-new-furniture-to-go-with-them-but-now-the-carpet-doesn't-match-the-new-furniture-now-we-need-new-curtains" syndrome. It's a vicious cycle that just keeps on going. I'm thinking about keeping them but is there any way to replace the old felt?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I have been doing a little research on these and there are certainly some advantages to using it but the one major drawback I see is that I would have to buy more holders and from what I have seen that means buying the back that comes with it. That's all fine and dandy if I use it on my 'cord but if I buy several sets that means I have to buy more Rollei's to fit them to. It's the old "we-got-new-curtains-now-we-need-new-furniture-to-go-with-them-but-now-the-carpet-doesn't-match-the-new-furniture-now-we-need-new-curtains" syndrome. It's a vicious cycle that just keeps on going. I'm thinking about keeping them but is there any way to replace the old felt?
    Micro-Tools has a lot of materials for camera restoration. Here is a link for Light Flocking: http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-L...0mmx250mm.aspx
    I have put new seals in all my film holders because they were very deteriorated. Mine were foam, which gets gooey, and then crumbly. Leaves dirt all over and doesn't seal any more. It's not hard to replace this stuff.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce, did you ever live in Mississippi? Your work has a familiar colour to it. I had a visiting photography instructor when I attended the Memphis College of Art 20 some odd years ago, that your work reminds me of. I especially enjoy the old heavy machinery and factory shots. A lot of my work back then fell along the same lines and I still picture in my minds-eye the shots I would love to take.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    if you decide to pursue the sheet shooting, it is very easy to cut film... assuming you have a dark room. I just used a regular chopper type paper cutter and taped it so I could feel it in the dark. Take a 4x5 sheet of film and cut a half inch off the 4 side so you are left with 3.5X5 and then cut that in half so you have two 2.5x3.5 sheets and that fits the holder. The image will be exposed in a square at one end of the film so you can figure out how to only handle the part that doesn't get exposed in camera. I have a rule of always working emulsion side up and putting the cut sheets in the box emulsion side up so that way I always know which side has the emulsion.. after cutting off the code notch.
    For tray processing the little sheets I found the perfect little trays by buying some covered glass butter dishes. The cover turned over makes a great tray for little sheets.
    It would be great if you could cut down sheets from roll film but unfortunately it is too curly. You can cut down from 5x7 film without waste... 4 sheets 2.5x3.5
    dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

updated for todays hip audience

Ok, so I decided that I was going to keep the cut film holders and try to use them so that meant that I needed more holders cause in my mind you just do. Back to fleapay to search for someone selling just the holders at a good price and that's what I found. Two holders and a "regular" back that will take the pistol grip/tripod adapter that I already have. Well, when I got the mail the other day and opened the box, what should I discover but that the back is actually the much sought after cut film AND roll film back with the pressure plate, cool. Upon closer inspection I found that the pressure plate is broken. There are two flat pieces that are the actual springs that maintain the plate at a certain distance and four tabs that are "glued" to the pressure plate that are supposed to hold the springs. Two of the tabs are unglued and the springs appear to be broken off of the tabs. I have no idea if there are more pices that are missing because the PP has two holes in it as if it came off of a regular back but there are no wear marks in them just as there doesn't appear to be any indication that film has been run past it. There is however wear on the backside of the PP where it looks like the springs have moved back and forth over it. I have not been able to find any information on this back even on the Rollei sites, nothing but rumor, conjecture and innuendo. This is where I could use the collective resources of APUG, any info would be great.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I didn't realize that there was a dual use back. I was of the impression you put an insert into the sheet film back. Whatever it is an extremely rare thing and I have never seen one.
    The sheet film backs and film holders are one of those ebay items that no one is sure the value. So you see them listed with widely varying prices from hundreds of dollars to nearly nothing. I was patient when I got mine and waited for those listed with low starting price and no reserve. I found that I usually had no one bidding against me.
    If you wanted to communicate with a guy who knows as much as it is possible to know about the Rollei cameras and systems you could join the Yahoo Rollei User Group and put the question on there. A man named Carlos prides himself in knowing all the answers. He will know about the back.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rolleiusers/

Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dennis,
    Thanks for the heads up on Carlos, I will try to see what he can tell me. As far as the dual format back, I had heard rumors floating around about that possibility but never really gave it much credence. I had originally ordered this one just for the holders and a back that I could use the pistol grip with When I got it and started checking it out I couldn't figure out why it had a felt light seal at the top. I was surprised as all get out when I pulled the dark slid back out. Here are a couple of shots notice in the second one the tabs that are absent from the other back in the shot.

this is the actual auction and you can see the red felt at the top of the back.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wow. OK I think I get it. You open the seemingly hinged back door and put the pressure plate in place then put a film holder in the other side to block the light and then close it up. Then the back works like a regular back and you open it from the bottom and put in the roll film. I would really like to have a look at that.
    thanks
    Dennis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin