Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,979   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei cut film back dilema

I just received a package bundle of stuff for my Rolleiflex/Cord's and one of them is a cut film back. Does any one still use these and is the film still available? It seems rather pointless because I only have the two holders and the GG holder. That means that I either have to buy a lot more of the film holders to be able to take more than two pictures or I have to carry a changing bag and a light prof case to carry more cut film in. Decisions, decisions. Do I keep it and deal with the hassle or do I sell. Hmmmm

Tune in tomorrow for the answer to these and more exciting and perplexing questions on "RolleiPlexTitation Hospital".

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I just received a package bundle of stuff for my Rolleiflex/Cord's and one of them is a cut film back. Does any one still use these and is the film still available?
    I have tried mine. They use 6,5x9 sheet film (if the cassettes still have their metal plates as adapters to compensate for the thickness of glass plates. They work like pressure plates). 6,5x9 sheet film is available from Efke and Ilford (I think).
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have quite a lot of the film holders and have tried to use them, but for me it is just more hassle than it is worth. Certainly it is interesting to be able to view with the ground glass on the back, especially to see if the taking lens and the focus lens agree on focus or if you want to see what you are really getting with the number 3 Rolleinar, and for me that is enough to justify owning one that I got off ebay for 25 bucks. They are pretty problematic in that you have to be very careful not to fog your film due to the leaky velvet and the soft bendable metal. the film is available by Efke but it is easy to cut down larger sheets. I cut a bunch down from 5x7 with very little waste. One other interesting thing about using sheet film is that the film lies absolutely flat.. so none of that film curl problem that is only mythical anyway.
    dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never used cut film is the reason that I am asking. It just seems that it would be a great pain in the posterior.
    I have quite a lot of the film holders and have tried to use them, but for me it is just more hassle than it is worth. Certainly it is interesting to be able to view with the ground glass on the back, especially to see if the taking lens and the focus lens agree on focus or if you want to see what you are really getting with the number 3 Rolleinar
    How many is "quite-a-lot". I already tote about five or three cameras around with me at any one time plus all the accessories that go with them plus film. It gets rather tiresome at times and if I didn't enjoy doing this I would chuck all down the drain and take up brain surgery for a past time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I have never used cut film is the reason that I am asking. It just seems that it would be a great pain in the posterior.
    How many is "quite-a-lot". I already tote about five or three cameras around with me at any one time plus all the accessories that go with them plus film. It gets rather tiresome at times and if I didn't enjoy doing this I would chuck all down the drain and take up brain surgery for a past time.
    I think I have 12 good holders and 4 backs. I have taken them out for landscape but in case I shoot more than 12 exposures.. which is pretty likely for me, I have to either carry a changing bag or the regular camera back. i think there is an insert made that once inserted you can use roll film but they are very rare.
    dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having that insert would be the way to go giving the choice of different mediums. If I could find that I might just hold onto the back and buy more holders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a hand held die cutter made to spec's for the size you need. The last time I checked I got a quote of a hundred dollars and they, I forgot who, in China, would make one to the dimensions of a sheet of film I sent to them. I could choose the notch configuration too.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't "they" already make die cutters in various sizes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes but the stock ones are not the "exact" size you need, a die cutter that says it's 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 maybe be that but the film size for the 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 isn't exactly those dimensions. A sheet needs to be a more precise size, which I don't have the dimensions right now without looking it up, otherwise it won't fit into the holder or septum as in Grafmatic or Mamiya.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My head hurts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin