Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,826   Online: 884

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Images
    pollux, If I remember correctly you must have film loaded for the shutter to fire. In the manual was there something about that? I have mine packed away and it's not handy right now. If you have the mirror back in the right position and a new battery load some film and take some photos. I don't think you have a problem that will need a trip to the repair shop. I had a similar situation some few years ago with just about the exact same circumstances. I think in the manual there is a reference to using the same tool that reset the mirror to be able to trip the shutter without film loaded. If you didn't force anything you didn't damage anything. Good luck with it. It's a super fine camera if you have any other questions or need any help just PM me.
    JOHN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, the film advance on the 67 has a history of failing. Pentax re-engineered the advance for the new 67II but even it needs to be sent in for repair occasionally. Mine went out in it's 5th year of service and I sent it back to Pentax in Golden Colorado for repair. They rebuilt the winder installing new parts and the repair bill was ~$180.00. Pentax repair has since been outsourced to Chris Camera so expect to pay a little more. It's a great camera well worth the repair costs.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is a great camera, don't let a little set back like this discourage you. My 6X7 does the thing where I have to keep firing it until the paper is all the way over to the take up roll, then dry fire it with the door open to get the counter to reset, it's kind of a drag, but I do plan to get it fixed come winter. Yes it does it with 120 or 220 film.

As for the battery, the camera WILL work even if the battery test light does not light up, I know I shot one roll of film that way. I checked the battery and it was good so I loaded the film the night before I wanted to shoot, I was new to the camera so the next morning I did a battery test before shooting, and the light did not come on. The meter worked, the shutter worked, and I replaced the battery after that roll of film, but I was worried the whole time. I think Pentax did this for safety so there is some life in the battery when the battery light says dead, that way you don't end up with a roll of film stuck in the camera. I check the battery every time I load film, and if the camera sits for a few days with film in it I check before shooting. I will probably kill the battery with testing before killing it with the shutter and meter.

Enjoy, the 6X7 is a great camera even if you won't be sneaking up on a flock of birds and taking several photos with it, K-Thud.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the battery goes dead mid-roll with the 67II, you just change batteries and continue shooting. The frame count remains where it was when the old batteries went out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    the shutter is firing normal, and sounds loud like a mortar.
    I always thought the Pentax 67 shutter sounded like a horse galloping across a
    bridge.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As Tom says, the winder was the weak point of the 6x7. The key is to use a smooth action when winding rather than the quick jab that usually does the job on a 35mm camera. There is a lot more tension with 120 film than 35mm film so if you jerk the wind lever across as fast as possible the excess force goes into the mechanism. Everything else about the 6x7 is quite reliable.

From what I have been told there were a number of changes to the mechanism over the years to beef it up. Unfortunately that means that the usual parts in stock at repair centres won't fit the older models which is why the 6x7 models are usually listed as unrepairable. I'm not sure what the situation is with the 67 but the 67II should still be fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    As Tom says, the winder was the weak point of the 6x7. The key is to use a smooth action when winding rather than the quick jab that usually does the job on a 35mm camera.
    Ditto.

Glad you got it working again.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The key is to use a smooth action when winding rather than the quick jab that usually does the job on a 35mm camera
    yes there is alot of tension in the winder, lucky the camera is in very good condition for its age. this is not a rapid fire camera, i imagine you could damage it by winding on quickly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Pollux - glad to see you are trying MF. Will you be doing mostly landscape - and / or astrophotography with it? Which lenses do you have?

These cameras are rugged - but requires a gentle hand on the winder - and shutter dial. Those small chains are easy to snap if you get too aggressive with either. I take it yours is the 6x7 version - not 67? The 6x7 version has some advantages for astro work - as the battery can be removed for long exposures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin