Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,091   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    amongst my collection I have an Ikonta B with the nova lens, cost me 29GBP, works wonderfully for landscape/portrait work,good as anything else I use,folder of course, don't look for the expensive options, sometime a cheapie will be just as good,Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    An observation: The range of suggestions in this thread is extreme, and although every suggestion has merit for some users, chances are that many of these suggestions would not suit Josh, the OP. I think that he needs to specify what he wants to help narrow things down. Some specific questions that can help:

• Do you want/need interchangeable lenses?
    • What format do you want? (645, 6x6, 6x7, etc.)
    • Do you want/need other specific features, such as a self-timer, WLF, prism finder, built-in meter, etc.?
    • Will you be carrying the camera around (hikes in the woods, say) or using it closer to home (studio shoots, for instance)?
    • Do you have a preference for basic type (folder, rangefinder, SLR, TLR, etc.)?
    • Are there specific types of photography you plan to do? (Landscapes, portraits, street shooting, macros, animals, etc.) The answer to this question alone might narrow the field quite a bit.

Even if you don't know the answer to all these questions, try answering those that you can. The result will probably be that many of the suggestions offered will drop away as unsuitable for your specific needs. For instance, if you need interchangeable lenses, that eliminates everything but SLRs and Mamiya C-series TLRs, AFAIK. OTOH, if you need something light and compact, a folder might be the best choice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    True, but we're all going off a post that reads, in its entirety, "Hello!" so I think we're doing alright with our rampant speculation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For that kind of money you can get a nice Bronica ETRS or Mamiya 645. Check Keh.com for those two cameras. If a fixed lens doesn't bother you then a Yashica TLR or even a Rolleicord is doable on that budget.

Me, I gambled and bought a used Yashica D from eBay from a "I don't know much about cameras" type. I got lucky and got one in working condition. Later when I picked up a Rolleiflex Automat the same way, my luck wasn't as good. It worked fine for a few rolls then the shutter started sticking on the slow speeds. Mr. Ebel sorted that out for me by replacing the main spring but it cost me $170 on top of the $100 I paid for it. This can of course happen with any old camera you buy. Buying from a place gives a 60 day warranty or better is advisable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello to you too! Did you have a question, or were you just sayin' hi?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mamiya 645 1000s, best buy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJS View Post
    Mamiya 645 1000s, best buy.
    It won't be if you fools keep suggesting it on the Internet!!!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found a Mamiya RB67 Pro SII with a prism finds ( non metered) and a 50 lens for $225.00. Nice camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Probably something Japanese or Soviet. I'd go Japanese on this one. Put away some more money in case it needs to be serviced. At the least, it might need new foam seals (depending on the camera).

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    It won't be if you fools keep suggesting it on the Internet!!!
    true.
    okay, camera is GREAT, but Sekor lenses are just awful, DON'T BUY IT, they suck big time, get a hassy zeiss instead! :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin