Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,778   Online: 722

Shooter
    Multi Format

Used system for about $250?

Hello !

I am currently looking into buying a medium format system. I am looking at the Bronica ETRS's at KEH and they appear to be quite reasonable.

Are they any good?

-Josh
    Cameras:
    Canon EOS Elan II/E, Elan 7, and 630. -- Bronica ETRS -- Pentax 6x7
    My Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is a good system from what I have heard but also be sure to check out the Mamiya M645 system. The M645 1000S is superb camera and there are great optics to go along with it!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    That is a good system from what I have heard but also be sure to check out the Mamiya M645 system. The M645 1000S is superb camera and there are great optics to go along with it!
    I have a M645 1000s for sale here, listed it today. Will have pictures up later this evening....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far as the Bronica name goes I've got an sq system and I've never had a problem with it. I love their glass and I can't imagine it being too terrible from one system to another. Really I often get comments about how sharp my photos are... I wish I could take more credit for that

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I chose the Bronica ETR system last year, and think it's great. I was considering the Mamiya as well, but I preferred the sample images I could see from the Bronica. I can't say if one was sharper than the other (with web resolution images) but I preferred the bokeh from the Bronica.

Now that I have had the camera for a while, I can report that it is very well built, works great, and delivers beautiful images. It is also a very complete system with many options for lenses, finders, winders, etc. all of which are very cheap these days.

Highly recommended.

I will also weigh in on the lenses available for the Bronica. I have a nice set of MC (original) lenses. I am pleased with the results they give. However, the universal opinion is that the newer PE series lenses are sharper and more flare resistant. So it's your choice, because obviously the MC lenses are cheaper.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Me, too... I have a pair and I love 'em... plus I have 3 SQ models which I love and use a lot. I don't think they can be be baet. You won't go wrong either way. Bronicas are leaf shutters; Mamiyas are focal plane guys.... makes a big difference in flash sync... big!!!

Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the replys! I think I will go with the Bronica system as in its slightly cheaper, has leaf shutter, and KEH has a outfit that I like.

Thanks!

-Josh
    Cameras:
    Canon EOS Elan II/E, Elan 7, and 630. -- Bronica ETRS -- Pentax 6x7
    My Website

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have SQ-A and M645 1000s. I prefer the simplicity and the solid way Mamiyas built + 1/1000s + fast lenses (80/1.9 - irreplacable, irresistible). When I need square format and fast sync I reach for Bronica, which is sadly most of the time. that's why I lust 203FE :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy it. Try it. If you like it keep it. If not return it for your money. You can't lose.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin