Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,193   Online: 1183

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Curious Rollei Question

Hello- I have often wondered.....On the front of the Rolleiflex WLF (front when open) there are three metal posts. Two of them look as if something could possibly be screwed into them and one does not have a hole. What is the purpose of these? To mount some kind of flash? To mount a rangefinder? I have been wondering for while

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those are for mounting a mask for the rolleikin, a set of accesories to use 35mm film in the rolleiflex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for solving my mystery I have know of the Rolleifkin but have never seen one...I'll go have a look now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there anyone here that uses the Rolleikin? I actually may want to get one to shoot some of my last Kodachrome in the Rollei...idk though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You'd do better using that Kodachrome in a real 35 mm camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 35mm adapter in 6x6 or any MF camera is just a gimmick. Why would you want to shoot a small format in a camera set up for medium?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have to agree with guitstik. Many years ago I struggled and saved for almost a year to buy a brand new Yashica 635. This was my first step into M/F. After I saw that first roll of 120 I never put that 35mm junk into my camera. In fact I stopped using 35mm altogether for almost 25 years until a job came along that required 35mm.

If you don't have any 35mm equipment you can buy a film point & shoot at a swap for a bunch less than a collector priced Rolleikin.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    The 35mm adapter in 6x6 or any MF camera is just a gimmick. Why would you want to shoot a small format in a camera set up for medium?
    When Franke & Heidecke developed the Rolleikin in the mid 30's some films were only availble in 35mm. You could buy the Agfa cassettes for the Rolleikin, and shoot Agfacolor (colour slide film).
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Rolleikin makes the camera into a very nice portrait camera. 80mm lens, portrait orientation, no SLR mirror to flop around, better interaction with subject because you are not hidden behind the camera. Just remember to use it at the same aperture you would use an 80mm lens on any other 35mm camera (ie f8 or whatever).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it is nice that they made such a thingy.

However, unless - as J. Patric said - they are to be used with film that's only available in 35 mm, i too don't think these thingies make much sense.
    That same nice portrait could be had by cropping the 6x6 the Rollei normally produces. No need to have to expose a full roll of 35 mm just because for one shot cropping to a smaller format would create a nice angle of view for a portrait.
    Even the 35 mm adapters that make use of the full width of the camera's film gate don't make much sense to me.

Still, nice that they made it.
    Better to have an option and not need it than not have the option at all. That thought may sound silly, but it has other virtues. It's that thingy we call "luxury", and somehow we all appreciate it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin