Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,541   Online: 1060

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Hassy A12 back not advancing far enough - why?

It seems that my A12 back has suddenly decided that it will only advanced to the very beginning of the film as taped onto the backing paper. I load the back correctly as I've always done, line up the arrows on the roll to the red arrow, etc, put the film holder into the back shell (where the film counter shows zero), lock it up and advance to "1".

All seems normal, and the film advances properly with proper inter-negative spacing, but after developing I see that the first frame just barely makes it onto the film, and after the last frame there's lots of room for at least one or one and a half more frames. In other words, the back no longer advances far enough that the 12 frames are properly located on the length of the film.

I've double checked the backing paper against other manufacturers, and the distances from end of paper to the arrows to the film tape are all identical.

I've just had this happen with two rolls of Tmax-100. Is there some element of Hassy lore that I've missed, or can a back suddenly decide it will do something like this? (Actually, this experience kind of makes me appreciate that with my SQ-A, I can use the main film crank to advance the film to "1", whereas the Hassy requires you do to that before you attach the back to the body.)

All thoughts and comments appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an RZ67 220 back that's doing the same thing. Sorry I can't be of any help, but I'd like if someone could weigh in on this too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's an indication that the back needs service.
    Until that happens, or it gets worse (like bad spacing) you can work around it by winding the film until the arrow is slightly past the one on the magazine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    It's an indication that the back needs service.
    Exactly!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is not uncommon for Hasselblad magazines, and does indicate that the back needs service. I guarantee that it will get worse until you do have it serviced. Both my A12 magazines started having the same problem as you described and before you know it, the gearing got noisy, and it started having frame spacing problems. Get it serviced before more damage is done. It's quite likely that all you need right now is an adjustment.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    thanks -- that's all good advice. Off it goes to the repairman.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin