Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,704   Online: 743

Shooter
    Medium Format

Camera bag for medium format

Hi,

I'm finally buying my dream camera: Mamiya RB67 Pro S.

I have one problem. I need a camera bag (backpack preferred). The bag must be large enough to tote the camera, 2 lens (127 & 180), 2 strobe flash units (Vivitar 285), a 35mm Canon SLR (film) with 4 lens (fisheye, 28, 50, & medium zoom) , a Cokin filter system, Gossen light meter, misc small accessories, film, and (if possible) a medium sized tripod and a large laptop computer.

I have looked at some camera store sites and found little help in selecting an appropriate bag that I don't have to mortgage the house for. I guess I'm going to try ebay, but I do not know what brand or model would be appropriate. Can someone help?

Please feel free to add any experiences you have had with selecting the bag you use, both good and bad.

Thank you, and have an enjoyable day.

Earl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like they've modelled it on the rolling Lowepro version.

Be aware that the more expensive models often have better padding in the harnesses, thus reducing the "drag" on your shoulders. Plus they are made to sustain continuous use and are built like tanks, meaning they'll last for ages.

I have a Lowepro Minitrekker, that I've had for well over 20years and it's still going strong. Paid about $300 at the time - and I thought it was overpriced then! But it works out to $15/yr - bet you'd be hard-pressed to find even a cheap copy at that price, every year for 20 years!

It fits my Bronics GS1 kit perfectly - 3 lenses from 65-250, 2 backs and a Polaroid back also.

I can also use the following 35mm kit consisting of my EOS1 w/grip, EOS5D w/grip, 300mm f4, 28mm f2.5, 17mm f3.5, 24-70mm f2.8, 180mm f2.5, 90mm TS-E f2.8, Macbook Pro 13", umpteen rolls of film, d***** cards, my Kodak Junior 620 folder and film.

Only thing it won't take is my Manfrotto 055B tripod - have to carry that in it's own bag.

Sure it weighs an absolute ton, but it all fits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want a top loading pack, check out Tamrac 750 and 752. They can carry a Hasselblad and four lenses with room to spare. That should work for you and you will have room for GAS expansion. One other advantage to these packs is that with the straps on the pack, you can transfer the weight to your hips rather than your back.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my Domke F2. The inserts are very interchangeable and can even come out to make the bag one big pocket. There is enough room in the pockets on the sides I even fit an AE-1 Program in one pocket. I highly reccomend it!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Thinktank "Streetwalker hardrive" backpack for MF gear, not really designed for film photographers in mind but I use it anyhow. Can haul all the gear I need, I store filters & a reflector & greycard where you stick the laptop in. High quality is very important (as with most photographic equipment), I had a smaller packpack which's one shoulder strap tore loose nearly killing a lens!!! So I advise not buying the cheaper "copy" bags, they WILL cause problems esp. with heavier MF gear, and repairing/replacing a lens/body will cost you in the end. There are many good bag brands out there, don't skimp on quality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for the information. I now understand what I need to know and learn. Enjoy the day.

Earl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My MF tote is a small carry-on sport bag I purchased from Cabela's. Its more durable and better constructed than my Tamrac bag, has dividers, and only set me back $10. One main compartment with dividers, and four outside pockets. Fits my C-220, Yash D, and Tourist II(folded), plus my film and accessories.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a Kelty pack outfitted with photobackpacker.com inserts for my large format gear. Great system - see if they have recommendations for your kit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding View Post
    I use a Kelty pack outfitted with photobackpacker.com inserts for my large format gear. Great system - see if they have recommendations for your kit.
    I use a similar system, homemade system for both my medium and large formate systems. First, go to Target (or similar) and find the soft coolers. The lunch size fit my stuff perfectly. I also use snap top storage containers for my film. The backpack should be a front loading pack (Kelty Redwing is one) to get good access. Photobackpacker has a specially modified one that looks great. Also, you might try a fishing store (e.g. Cabellas, Bass Pro) and look for fishing reel cases. I have a case that perfectly fits my LF lenses on boards. It even has dividers!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin