Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,566   Online: 1028

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shoulder/waist bag for Mamiya 6 with 50, 75, 150 lenses

I soon should become an owner of Mamiya 6 with 3 lenses (few weeks to wait). Now I am wondering what kind of bag would be a good match to it.

The usage:
    During short day trips (cities, seaside). For long trips I use a backpack. I am unsure how much weather protection should the bag offer.

What I expect:
    Apart from the camera and lenses there should be space for 5 - 10 films, cable release, cleaning cloth, close-up adjustment, small notebook (A5 at most) and possibly a small pocket where some personal documents and wallet could be stored (A6 size). To have a side pocket for 0.5l bottle would be great too.

The bag I have is the Crumpler Stunner. While it is VERY strong and very well made it has a bit too little space for the accessories (only one external pocket). It is also quite bulky for what fits inside (a bit too "over-designed" I would say)

I am considering different products - from "classical" camera bags (Crumpler, Lowepro, Thinktank, etc.) to leather bags like this or this - these are maybe a bit less protective (though some custom insert could be made), but I like the look.

So I would like to ask - what do you use for your Mamiya 6 (or 7 or RF645)? If you would have a photo of your camera it the bag it would be great!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a Courierware Incognito, size M, for one or two twin-lenses, and an extra lens panel or two if they're Mamiyas, with plenty of room to spare for a water bottle and other stuff (inside, though). Has inner and outer laptop-size pockets in back.

The small size might work for you. No pics now but I could maybe take some tomorrow. Love this product. Like the Incognito (with padded cells) more than the Courierware-made "bare bones" bags with no padding/dividers.

http://www.courierbags.com/objects/20.itml/icOid/20

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Domke F-6 for a Mamiya 7 with 50, 80, and 150mm lenses, some filters and small accessories, and a few rolls of film.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

I put my Hasselblad, 3 lenses, meter, lens shades, film, filters, accessories into a Domke F-1X "little bit bigger" bag. It's just right.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AgentX, the courier bags look interesting. I am looking forward to see you pictures as those on their webpage are very small.

Looks like Domke bags are quite favored here

I have spent some time looking at different bags and realized that I quite like the messenger styled bags. These often allow to remove partly or completely the padding and turn into "normal" bags. Also these seems to be practical when on travel. Som does anyu of you have an experience with bags like Domke F-803, Tenba Messenger small bag, Naneu Lima-N or similar?

I also had a look at the National Geographic Medium NG-2475 - at 1.3 kg a bit heavier than I would like, but looks great too.

There are also some interesting bags from Kaliahari.

I had also a look at Billingham bags (quite nice webpage they have) and while most seemed a bit too heavy (I would prefer to stay around 1 kg or below) the F/Stop range bags - in particular the bigger f/1.4 look really great. The only thing that makes me a bit unsure is that the the bags is kept closed only by the main top flap - no zippers, not velcro for the front pocket. Would you find it safe enough?

I have actually made a few possible configurations to see how much space the gear actually needs. For a bag where you can put two lenses beside each other (like in Domke F-6) it would be like (L x D x W): 20 x 15 x 14 (cm). In the case of a "slimmer" bag (like messenger bags or the Billingham f/1.4) it would be: 30 x 15 x 11.

Looking forward for more proposals from your side

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK - a little update. After checking may different bags I came to a conclusion that rather than getting a dedicated padded bag I would rather get some "normal" (though a bit strong) canvas bag and store the camera and lenses in small pouches. For the pouches I have something like this in mind:
    - camera pouch - shoulf fit mamiya with either 50 or 75 lenses
    - lens pouch (2 of them) for the lenses.

My idea is to attach the lens pouches from inside the camera bag (so that they do not fly around).

So - now I am looking for suggestions for a non-padded but strong and stable bag (imagine a non padded Billingham Hadley Pro or similar) - bit of messenger style. After some googling it seems that fishing bags may get close to what I am looking for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, another update :-)

I am now looking mostly into bags like:
    - Bare Bones Bag BBB2
    - Courierware Messenger bag (small)
    - Timbuk2 custom bags (size small)

- any experience with these? I know that BBB bags are made by Courierware, though they are a bit different. I have read many good things about BBB, I am just wondering how it (or similar) would suite the purpose intended. I got quite sold on the low weight of these bags.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am unable to upload pics of my Courierware at the moment--sorry--in the middle of moving internationally and I don't have home Internet anymore, and can't plug any outside appliances into the work system.

If I can, manage it (friend's computer, maybe) I will soon.

But in the meantime, let me say that one of the reasons I love my courierware over the Bare Bones version is that the courierware neoprene cells give the bag more structure...I find it much easier to work out of than the Bare Bones. And the cells are easily removable...take them out, and you have something much the same as a Bare Bones (and a totally useful general-purpose bag if you need). So I think it's the better of both worlds.

I got my Courierware with the detachable strap option...would not recommend it. I much prefer the sewn-on strap of my Bare Bones (which is standard on the Courierware as well). I also opted for the slider adjuster...if I could do it again, I'd get the standard quick-adjust. (SCUBA-belt type friction buckle, much quicker to adjust and seems pretty standard on messenger bags...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used a shoulder supported bag for my Hasselblads until I tried a backpack and never went back. They are a much better way to carry the weight. For short excursions with the need to carry less equipment I got a very lightweight North Face backpack that is weather resistant and use camera wraps to protect the equipment. They make an extensive line of packs. The one I have has two large zippered external pockets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For camera + 2-3 lenses I use Domke F3. Canvas, small, simple. Sewn-in dividers that can be pushed outta the way at need.

I use a Filson field bag with Tenba wedding insert when I want a messenger-type bag. They're kinda expensive, but very well made and will last forever. I can barely fit a 5D + EF16-35 and F4 + Nikkor 18-40 together. Its usual usage is the F4 w/lens mounted + a spare lens. May be too small for your needs, unless you're willing to stack lenses in their pouches.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin