Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,332   Online: 1056

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi topslakr

The Angle Finder 2 listed on the KEH site specifically states it is for the older Mamiya cameras - the eyepiece fitting on the prisms for the Super, Pro and ProTL are different and this finder won't fit. The only right angle finder you can use is the Angle Finder N. The fitting for the latest angle finders, designed for the Mamiya AFD and DM 645s look different and I fear they're not compatible either.

And you are right - they're pretty rare and were not made in great numbers because it was assumed that most people would have had a waist level finder which carries out pretty much the same function but without the benefit of in-built dioptric adjustment. Of course, with the WLF you won't have the benefit of AE metering provided by 2 of the 3 prism finders, so you'd need an external light meter. The small numbers made combined with their usefulness with AE Prism Finders means that these dont tend to change hands very often. KEH is usually a good source for such accessories, as is ebay, but they can still be found at retailers around the world - a deep multi-language web search will usually reveal some.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, chuck it all and just get an RB 67. Then you'll only have 4 different models to make your head explode; the oldest RB, the RB Pro, the RB Pro S, and the RB Pro SD. But to be serious, yes, the waist level finder is really not much more than a chimney type affair with a provision for a magnifier to be used for critical focusing. I like them fine on square format cameras, or on the RB series of cameras where you rotate the back to switch from landscape to portrait orientation instead of rotating the whole camera 90 degrees. As you can imagine, a WL finder is pretty useless if you want to use the Mamiya 645 in portrait orientation. The finder winds up in a place where you can't see it! Honestly I don't really see that much use for a WL finder on a Mamiya 645 camera. They're not much bigger than an auto everything 35mm SLR, and I find the viewing screen a little too small when used with a WL finder. But that's me. You might want to try using a home made something to see if it will work for you. I'm guessing you won't have that much use for it.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mamiya 645 Pro Right Angle Finder: CA$95.

Hi again, I just spotted the Angle Finder you need on the vintagevisuals web site, selling for $95 Canadian....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Mamiya C-220 that didnt have a finder, so I made one out of thin card stock. I didn't like that one, so I built a second one a good bit taller and tapered with a magnifing lens (chimney finder) that works exceptionally well. I now have a Mamiya WLF. with a pop-up magnifing lens. I still use my chimney finder outdoors as it blocks most extranious light. If you make a WLF, color the insides flat black to avoid reflections.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I sent you a PM with an offer for one I have for sale. The original has a pop up magnifier - very useful for checking fine focus.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is mostly for Topslakr but of course anyone can give her/his opinion.

Robert, how does the angle finder work out for you? I also just purchased a used Mamiya 645 Pro with a metering prism. As I'm quite tall I often go down on my knees when using a tripod with my 35mm SLR. So an angle finder or waist level finder might be helpful for tripod usage. The angle finder N would have the advantage of not losing the metering function of the prism and (hopefully) still be usefull when the camera is in portrait orientation.

Menno

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A WLF on a rectangular format camera like the Mamiya seems borderline useless when/if you want to do portrait-oriented shots. A right-angle finder is way more useful.

Shooter
    35mm

I use both!

spijker:

The angle finder has been useful but it can be a bit cumbersome. It does rotate around though so you can use it in 'portrait' or 'landscape' mode. If I'm out shooting in situations where the light is changing I use the right angle prism. If I'm shooting and the light is constant I use the WLF. Obviously, the WLF is a bit odd to use in 'portrait' mode and I use the Angle finder in those cases as well.

I find the right angle to be quite helpful in separating me from the scene I'm shooting and helping me evaluate the shots composition. If the camera is looking forward and I'm looking down it helps me mentally disconnect from where I am. It helps me to see what's actually going to be recorded on the film and not what I 'think' is going to be. That may be only a personal problem though...

My only reservation about it is that it sticks out quite a bit and you have to be careful not to catch it on anything. I like it though and will be keeping it. It's a lot easier for me to be sure I've focused properly with the angle finder than the WLF and I really don't like to use the standard 'straight ahead' finder.

One side note: When using the WLF the image shown on the ground glass is left right reversed. If you think that might cause you trouble when shooting the Angle finder is the best choice.

Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Robert, Thanks for your reply. I had found a used angle finder N for US$40 and now have ordered it. The cheapest waist level finder for the Pro that I could find was way more expensive. I think I could work with the left-right reversed image but I have no problem with the prisms either. That's what I'm used to. So I'll give the angle finder a try.

I was daydreaming a bit during a meeting today and thought that it would be fun to have a prism finder that could horizontally rotate. For landscape mode it would be the same as a normal prism finder. For portrait mode you would rotate the prism finder 90 degrees so that is pointing upwards. That way you'd have a kind of "chimney finder" but with an unreversed image. If I ever come across a very cheap prism finder for a 6x6 camera, I might try this.

Menno

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin