Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,984   Online: 893

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Aaahhhgg (gasp) I can't believe I did that! Help!

A good friend of mine gave me her Fathers Rodenstock camera for sentimental reasons and as is my habit with a new camera, I took it with me to work so that I could check it out and familiarize myself with it. Well, in the process of getting to know it, I noticed that for some reason the T&B shutter settings would not allow me to cock the shutter. There "was" a button on top and I figured that it may activate those settings so I fooled with it, snap, it came off (expletive deleted). I still thought that it had something to do with those settings so I poked at the lever the button had been attached to, gently of course, (expletive deleted), the lever is now deeper than it had been and the shutter will not cock (expletive deleted multiple times, such language). I need a good, reputable repair man that is familiar with this Compur-Rapid shutter. Any suggestions, please, my heart is breaking that I have done this to this special camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Call Adam at S. K. Grimes, Woonsocket, RI:

VOICE: 401-762-0857

FAX: 401-762-0847

EMAIL: skgrimes@skgrimes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He's good?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got a similar Compur (not Rapid though) shutter in a Welta Trio... it does indeed not cock in T and B mode, but these modes work without cocking when you press the shutter release normally. I believe, there were a few shutters where the regular times needed the spring tension while T and B work without it.

I wish you good luck with the repair. Rodenstocks can be really nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ken Ruth - his business is called Photography on Bald Mountain - the man is brilliant (he even made his own Leica copy ...except that it takes 5 inch roll film..still looks like a Leica though). He can repair anything, and will make a part if required...and I'm told he is a nice man too..his number is ( 831 ) 423-4465 - give him a call and talk with him - I'm sure he will be able to repair it for you

The easiest way to repair it will be to get a wrecked shutter to replace the part - this can then be done by any competant camera technician (or anyone handy with their hands - from memory the part you describe is riveted to the shutter body, so it is a bit of a job...

If you are in Australia I can suggest a couple of people too.
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The button on top is for the shutter's self-timer. You pull down slightly as you tension the shutter and continue pushing the lever all the way to the left.

That button is welded to a small piece underneath. You would need to rebond it -- possibly a small spot weld. I'm not sure if you could solder it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I called S.K. Grimes and Adam was very helpful but when he suggested that I should just have them replace the Compur-Rapid with a Copal shutter at the tune of $300 I had a stroke and the fact that he would charge me $40 if no work was done to the camera because of some terrible deformity ended it for me.
    When I calmed down I called Ken Ruth and right off the bat he's cutting up and telling jokes and making really bad puns... I knew this was "the guy". I think we talked for an hour about nothing and everything, cameras to using heavy objects to train children. As soon as I got off the phone with Ken I got the camera all together and ready to ship off to sunny California. If his work on cameras is anything like his personality this thing should sing when I get it back

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin