Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,641   Online: 772

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi luvmydogs -

i'd be in the camp that would say sell the 35mm go right to a large format camera. you can get a decent LF field camera ( speed / crown graphic ) for not too much $$ and a hand full of lenses for what you might pay for a good medium format set-up ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think it is a mistake to equate MF and 35mm too much. They are pretty different and how you use them will be different.

A few key points -

MF maxes out at 1/500 usually. That is pretty slow for some work. BUT it flash synchs at all speeds. Great for studio work.

MF handles VERY differently. This is not a "grab and go" camera.

What I would do is this -

Split the difference.

Sell off the F5 body and maybe a lens or two.

Buy an N80. Yes, buy a NEW or slightly USED N80. Why? Because it is cheap (last I checked around $400.00) and will take ALL your lenses and makes a GREAT backup for the D100. In fact they use the same body.

Take the rest of your cash and........

Don't buy a Hassy.

I know, this may sound odd, but the Hassy system is expensive and you may not like MF when all is said and done.

Take that cash and buy something else. Used.

I suggest the Bronica ETR system.

Bodies can be had cheaply, the lenses are VERY good, and are cheap. At KEH.com you can get a nice ETRs with a 75mm lens (this is a "normal" lens like a 50mm on 35mm), with a 120 back, a finder, and a Speedgrip for around $600.00. The nice thing about the Bronica system is that it is VERY compatible. Very few things to worry about compatibility-wise. I use one and it is VERY nice, VERY reliable, and VERY underrated.

I mean, you could easily get $1,000ish for a lens or two and an F5 body (depending on condition....) and get an MF starter AND a good film back-up body for the D100.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    LUVMYDOGS: Unless you are not expecting to go for traditional b&w, processing and developing yourself, and if you are completely happy with the digital then, by all means, sell the F5 and associated ancillaries. You will need the cash for updates, back-up storage devices, and a new camera when your digital a.) fails after the warrantee expires (you won't be able to get it fixed), or b.) you need to purchase the newest, up-to-date model.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    I think it is a mistake to equate MF and 35mm too much. They are pretty different and how you use them will be different.
    What I would do is this -
    Buy an N80.......
    Take the rest of your cash and........

Don't buy a Hassy.
    Take that cash and buy something else. Used.

I suggest the Bronica ETR system.

I mean, you could easily get $1,000ish for a lens or two and an F5 body (depending on condition....) and get an MF starter AND a good film back-up body for the D100.
    If you are not considering the LF option I believe Robert Kennedy's advice is spot on. That is what I would do if I were going down that road.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    <sigh> this is hard.

But thanks for everyone's input and suggestions. I did go visit one of the larger camera stores in the city here, and have basically also come to the conclusion that I am not going to buy a Hasselblad any time soon. My main concern is that the F5 does not do much that my D100 can't do, but since I do enjoy B&W and have started developing my own film, perhaps I should think about trading the F5 in for MF. But from what most people say here, it may be more worthwhile to take a look at LF. This just tells me one thing - I'll have to give more thought as to what kind of photography I want to do.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would se if someone here in your area couldn't help out and spend a day shooting LF with you. You could see what it entails.

LF is VERY different from....well....EVERYTHING. It is a quantum leap from 35mm.

Then again, to cheaply get into LF, just buy and old Crown Graphic and a couple of film holders. $2-300 should easily do that, and have a good, cheap, intro LF.

Plus those Graphics look REALLY cool....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    Then again, to cheaply get into LF, just buy and old Crown Graphic and a couple of film holders. $2-300 should easily do that, and have a good, cheap, intro LF.
    Don't forget about a tripod... I bet my flimsy plastic one wouldn't hold a 4x5 for more than a few seconds before it snapped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My advice would be to just stick with what you have for the time being. The differences between DSLR and 35mm resolution might be slight , but there are huge differences in the capacity to record subtle tonal differences, especially as you get down toward the darker end of your tonal range. If you have to sell something to advance your photo pursuits, I'd say sell a lens or two to buy some darkroom equipment and spend the next year or so learning how to get the best black and white images you can out of your 35mm camera. I don't think you'll regret doing so, and you'll be better equipped at the end of that year to know into which basket you want to put your eggs.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I recently picked up a mint condition Mamiya 645 Super with metered finder, 120 back, 55mm, 80mm, and 150mm C lenses for $940US on ebay. I haven't used the kit yet so can not comment on it, but I hear great things about it..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya's are great cameras. I have two of them. Problem you may experience if you make the jump to LF without much experience of doing a lot of your won development and such is, it is a whole different way of photography. It is slower and more methodical. You ned to calculate out exposure. It is not as portable. I love it, but it is more of a love hate relationship. As for which camera to get rid of, I would sell the D100 and lens while the market will still pay you a decent amount for it. In a year or two it maynot be worth much. the F5 if you want to really have a kick, I would sell too. Get a smaller digigizmo that has some good optics and you will have around for 3 to 5 more years. Get a good Mf system and a tripod. Pentax makes a good 6x7 format camera with good lenses. With that size of negative, you will probably turn your back on digital for the forseeable future. Ebay has them a lot cheaper.

In the end it comes down to what you shoot like. If it is on the move and speed you want, few medium formats have that capability. A rangefinder is smaller and has more portability in MF. The MF rangefinder has it's drawbacks if you like to shoot telephoto. It is all a matter of tradeoffs and what you want to do. Most important, I would get a good tripod and a light meter and learn to sue them. forget about the center weighted metering of the 35mm and see what you can do with experimenting with exposures. You just may find that your 35mm photography improves enough that you won't want the digigizmo any longer.

This is all just the old redheads opinions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin