Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,483   Online: 878

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wdemere
    In my opinion, there isn't much difference in sharpness or detail between medium format and digital, but that is obviously up for debate...
    I deal with digital, 35mm, mf (film and digital) and large format everyday.

Unless we're talking about a holga, there is a world of difference between digital and MF. If you are just talking about sharpness, breadth of colour, and latitude, film is far superior. If your talking about workflow, digital output, fast turn around and grainfree/pixel free smaller enlargements than digital is v good.

No flame is intended, but I keep hearing this said (by people who bring in their files, and on the net) and it simply is fantasy.

One thing that may lead people to believe this is when properly res'd up there is no grain minimal pixelation, but no *real* detail either.

Sorry for the rant. Back on topic...

35mm slr's do many things well and most everything at least ok. They are very versatile. You may wish to try a number of cameras with an eye toward specialization. RF's for street and travel, 2x3 horsman or similar for landscape and architectural or a box style slr for studio.

If you just want to grab the camera and 'go' shoot handheld and not have a lot to carry A rangefinder or TLR may be the ticket.

Just my 2¢

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dr. Bob: I am definitely not completely happy with digital...I have found that I really enjoy developing my B&W films.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Aggie, mrcallow, KwM, and the rest:

Thanks again!!!! I truly appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. KwM - I am going to do what you suggested. I recently started shooting B&W, and found that it is, for me, an immensely gratifying and satisfying experience, and can't believe I waited so long to do it. Developing the negs myself was not only fun, but i found the process so rewarding. I think this is what originally started getting me thinking about MF...I didn't get nearly the same gratification using Photoshop! But what you said really makes sense - at this stage of my photography, what I use really has nothing to do with much...I will take what I have and try to improve as much as I can on shooting B&Ws, and in a few years, go from there.

I really appreciate everyone's candidness and objectiveness. And yes, the next thing I'm going to have to buy is an enlarger...I guess I'll go to the darkroom forum to enquire about that. I'd love to do my own prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Callow -

I recently had to do a large 20x30 color print for someone of a landscape. Cost was an issue, so digital output was the way to go.

The camera used though was a Crown Graphic with an old 125mm lens and 4x5 Velvia 100.

The guys at the lab could tell I didn't do digital because "digital breaks down at this size".
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I really appreciate everyone's candidness and objectiveness. And yes, the next thing I'm going to have to buy is an enlarger...I guess I'll go to the darkroom forum to enquire about that. I'd love to do my own prints.[/QUOTE]

You might want to consider skipping the enlarger and get big camera and a vacuum easel. I wish I had started that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    Callow -

I recently had to do a large 20x30 color print for someone of a landscape. Cost was an issue, so digital output was the way to go.

The camera used though was a Crown Graphic with an old 125mm lens and 4x5 Velvia 100.

The guys at the lab could tell I didn't do digital because "digital breaks down at this size".
    Not suprising...
    I make digital enlargemnets all day. They can be very very nice, but ones made from big negs and high res scans are always the best. Digital cameras will be there some day ('there' being more detail, colour etc.. -- it will never be film), but not yet.

I suspect when digital can capture the colour, latitude and detail of film, they will come out with a 'looks like film' plugin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    luvmydogs
    Yet another option for MF is the Mamiya 7II. Weighs less and is smaller than your F5 but has the advantage of 6x7 negative, silent operation, no flash sync limitations. Beautiful piece for street portraits & landscapes. Panorama (24x56mm) if you want to spend another bunch of money. Downside is limited selection of lenses & like any MF camera you just can't get 5 frames a second out of 'em.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogs
    I'm just not sure what to do...with the F5 and the D100.
    Let's recap for my sake:
    • You want to keep - Nikon D100 with 105 macro, 50mm f/1.4, 80-200 f/2.8

• You want to sell - Nikon F5 with 17-35mm f/2.8, 20-70 f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4

• You want to buy - Hasselblad 501CW with a 80mm f/2.8 and A12 back

• You want to shoot - landscape and still life, and street photography (candids)

If you want to keep 35mm digital, I would keep the D100 the 17-35mm f2.8. I'd sell the rest. I'd buy a new lens like the 28-70mm f2.8 for it instead. I know this isn't what you originally posted. Reason is the 1.5x factor the D100 has and the type of photography you want to shoot.

If you want to keep 35 mm film, I'd keep the F5, 20-70 f/2.8 and 80-200 f/2.8. This gives you the widest range of shooting possiblilities.

The Hassey 503CW is a great camera. This camera will s - l - o - w you down though. I mean it is fully manual camera with a top shutter speed of 1/500th second. And the lenses are ex$pen$ive. But $$$ hasn't stopped people from getting Ferrari's...

Just an FYI, I sold my F5s and all my fixed lenses. I only have 3 zooms - the 17-35mm AF-S f2.8D, the 28-70mm AF-S f2.8D and the 80-200mm AF-S f2.8D. Kept my F4e. Love that camera, though I haven't used it nearly as much as the new Hassey.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Shaggy and gr82bart,

Thanks for your comments. After reading through everyone's posts, I have decided to hold off on buying anymore equipment until I have a better grasp and understanding of what I really like to shoot, and also until I can produce better photos. I would still like to unload one of my cameras (I have three -D100, F5 and FM3A), but am unsure which yet at this point.

gr82bart - I actually have the 28-70 f/2.8...and not 20-70, which I don't think exists! Typo on my part. I actually find that I don't use that one as often as I do the 50mm f/1.4 combined with the 85 f/1.4, mainly because the 28-70 is quite big and heavy.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    luvmydogs:
    Since you want to lighten your load, I would lean towards disposing of the F5(bigger & heavier) and some of the heavier zooms, learn the discipline of working with fixed focal lengths for a while & then consider the larger camera systems. I would also get rid of the D100(personally) since Nikon will probably come up w/something new this fall. Right now there would still be a good market fot it. If you need the digi capabilities you can always scan the negs or have a CD made. So many choices, so many opinions

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin