Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,833   Online: 977

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

New here and have a dilemma...

Hi,

I am not sure where to post this question, but I am hoping to get some (objective) opinions from you guys, since you all seem to have so much more experience than I do.

I currently have a full 35mm set up - both digital (Nikon D100) and film (F5). Since I've been digitizing most of my photos, the image quality from the D100 and the F5 is really quite similar (I can't tell, and in fact, often the D100 images look better printed than a scanned slide from my dedicated film scanner).

So...my question is this...should I sell my F5 (along with several of my lenses) and get a MF setup? It seems easy at first, but my problem is that I have a lot of good glass that I'd be selling - my 17-35mm f/2.8, my 20-70 f/2.8, and my 85mm f/1.4, along with my F5. I'd be left with my D100, my 105 macro, the 50mm f/1.4 and my 80-200 f/2.8. I've been looking at the Hasselblad 501CW with a 80mm f/2.8 and A12 back, or something similar to that to replace my F5 and all the lenses I'd be selling.

I'm just not sure what to do...with the F5 and the D100, I feel like I have two very similar systems, and the F5 doesn't seem to provide anything too much above and beyond my D100 (I don't shoot action so the speed of the F5 is not important to me). I do enjoy landscape and still life, and street photography (candids) though. So...is this a stupid question? Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure, the D100 is a nice camera (I can't believe I just typed that in an "all analog" forum), but...

The first time you want the look of Tri-X in Rodinal, you'll be back in a store buying a film body when you discover that digital won't do it.

Having said that, is keeping what you have and adding to the arsenal an financial option? Have you actually used a Hassey yet, or are you basing the decision on marketing information? If you haven't shot with one, I'd suggest a rental for a weekend and a couple of pro-packs of film. There are other MF fish in the sea...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogs
    Hi,
    I've been looking at the Hasselblad 501CW with a 80mm f/2.8 and A12 back, or something similar to that to replace my F5 and all the lenses I'd be selling.
    I think trading the F5 for a Hasselblad is a good thing when you have a nice DSLR. When shooting landscape and still life you will be very happy with the larger negative or positive you'll get. And the 6x6 negative will leave the D100 behind in detail and overall sharpness.
    Then you'll have two cams that will be usable for different things.

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogs
    I do enjoy landscape and still life
    Have you thought about large format? For the most part, it's cheaper than Hassy, and better (IMO) for landscape & still life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Matt and Bob...you are not making my dilemma any easier!!!!

Let's just forget I said hasselblad. How about just trading in my F5 for a medium format? Knowing myself, LF won't do b/c I just won't want to take it out (too big).

Bob, I figure I'd keep the 35 mm format in digital...I'd still have a great macro lens (105mm f/2.8), a 50mm f/1.4, and a good telephoto zoom (80-200mm f/2.8). I just can't see myself having and using the digital, the F5 and all the other lenses that I can sell, plus a MF camera. Though I will say that initially, the only lens that I will have on my MF camera will be a standard (cannot afford to buy more right away).

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You might want to read the stuff at www.luminous-landscape.com if you haven't already.

In particular the archive of Mike Johnston's articles. There is one in there on large format photography that is sort of apropos to your problem in a round-about sort of way:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/LF-Con.htm

In my opinion, there isn't much difference in sharpness or detail between medium format and digital, but that is obviously up for debate. Having already drunk the digital kool-aid I'm not sure you would get any benefits out of medium format. Large format might make more sense, but it all has to do with what you take pictures of, what processes you like to use, etc. Each format has its own strengths and weaknesses.
    "I know of no country in which there is so little independence of mind and real freedom of discussion as in America." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been searching everywhere but I just can't find an 8 track to play my Johnny Cash tapes on.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the motivation behind going from 35mm to medium format with a film camera? If your usage for both formats are the same and you are satisfied with the results from F5, why do you want to change to MF?
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd immediately sell the digi-monster and buy another film camera - preferably of a larger format.

Not that helpful ... but what did you expect from a bunch of analogue nuts???

Same question as Shesh. What would you use the medium format for? Higher quality slides or something different like black and white, or have you decided that the F5 is now redundant and you want to expand your horizons? Maybe just sell the F5 equipment?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin