Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,108   Online: 1067

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The RB neg is almost twice as big as the 645 neg. Use the RB when you can and use the 645 when the other would slow you down or inhibit your work. That's not too many cameras, brother. And you can tell your wife I said so! =)

All the best.

Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too may cameras?

No.

Now, lets tally the votes.

Too many cameras... = 0
    You need more cameras = 20

:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "I have too many cameras" sounds like bragging to me...

I only have one MF kit, an M645, usually used on a tripod, but also works well handheld. Somebody who is large and burly could perhaps handhold an RB or RZ, but I wouldn't want to. So that's perhaps where you find different uses?
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know you have too many cameras when you spend more time deciding which one to take on a shoot than actually shooting! Personally, I have a wide range of MF from TLR (Mamiya C33), RFDR (Fuji, Nettar & Zenobia folders) my Mamiya 645 and finally my RB. They all get a good work out during the month. Each camera has a particular "gift". I love the RB for close ups and landscapes with it's resulting beautiful renderings. My folders are great when I wish to travel light but still want high quality. I find that my 35mm cameras tend to stay at home the most but they see a fair amount of use. Bottom line, use them & enjoy; don't sell ANYTHING unless you must! (I once sold a mint rare Canon black 6L (think of a VIT with lever advance). I saw one once for $7,000! Just enyoy your hobby and shoot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanV View Post
    I have got too many MF cameras. 2!. I only want one but the RB67 is not all that portable in my hand and the Fuji GW690 does not produce pictures of the same quality as the Mamiya but is easier to carry,. There is no simple solution so I will just have to keep both and enjoy an occasional fondle.
    That is easy! Trade the two in for a Hasselblad. You wil be glad you did.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It might seem counter intuitive, but a Hasselblad is really easy to hand hold, and I do it very often. It's also a lot lighter than you might think.
    All in all, a very versatile camera that can be used successfully for almost any type of work. Studio, portrait, product, landscape... The only thing you can't do very well is hide it. The mirror slap is very loud, and it's not good for candids.
    But it is the best compromise between quality, versatility, and ease of use that I have so far come across!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    That is easy! Trade the two in for a Hasselblad. You wil be glad you did.

Steve
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Rule of thumb, if you use it regularly, keep it. If you don't get rid of it and find something you will use regularly! Personally when you're using them to shoot I think anything more than half a dozen cameras is an excessive situation unless you're collecting them for the purpose of collecting them, are a professional who needs to have several bodies ready to go or are talking about several different formats that you need to be able to photograph and can't do unless you have more than a couple of cameras, IE people going from regular format, to medium or large format or from those to digital etc.

Some people collect cameras as if they want to start their own museums. I get that, and I respect that because someone has to, otherwise they'll only be lost to time and no info about them will be readily available. Other people use a lot of cameras professionally, or the different format, but people who have 2 dozen cameras or lenses who supposedly bought them to shoot with, and who really don't end up shooting with more than one or two all the time actually rather perplex me.

To me ultimately that's just hoarding, but for the record I don't think you're in any danger of that. 3 cameras? Heck, I've got more than 3 cameras and I'm not the type to collect them at all! That's nothing compared to some people around here, laugh, and at least you USE them, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pfft, that's not many. I mean, what happens if they both break down, you'd be left with no MF cameras!

You're missing the C330 that would give you 6x6, and the Mamiya Super which would give you a nice rangefinder with formats up to 6x9.

Start looking in the classifieds, I'm sure someone can help sort out your camera shortfall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Multiply what you have by 10 then throw a few more in for good measure and you might get close to what I have squirreled away. In fact I just traded a guitar I haven't played in a long time for an RB67 that needed a good home. My problem isn't to many cameras, cause I shoot almost all of them, but a shortage of film. There are a few that I don't shoot but that is because they are awaiting conversion or restoration. If you are so worked up over this that you are loosing sleep, I will demonstrate my compassion by relieving you of one of the M645's.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I knew when I asked this question that I would be stoned for even implying that i wanted to sell some of my gear. LOL!!! I only mentioned the MF gear...not the 35mm and digital stuff. To me the RB is the most enjoyable to shoot but the least practical. to carry around. The M645 has a meter in the prism so it is lighter and more convenient. But with a neck strap and waist level finder the RB can certainly be used without a tripod. I will probably just keep everything.

I have three guitars I made for myself that I have been thinking about trading for more gear! In one breath I am talking about thinning out my camera collection and the next trade something for more gear! We have a incurable sickness!!!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin