Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,172   Online: 731

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    well, photography has taken over for me that I'm also selling 90% of my music gear, 2 basses, one 6-string, POD X3 Live, Whammy 4, M-Audio Oxygen 61... I can easily relate to what you're saying here.

I'm keeping the Korg KP3 and Koassilator, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When you have the camera disease and the instrument disease you are terminal!!!!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I get older I am finding that I don't have the dexterity in my hands that I once had. There are times I can't even hold a pen in my hands and I get the dropsies so the guitars end up sitting and collecting dust but the cameras are ever present with me, I have one with me now and one in the car, that was never the case with the guitars. It was even harder to tote drums around when I played but two torn rotator cuff's ended that for me as well. I will say this tho, the last guitar that I sell or trade will be my 71 model 58 LP sunburst replica. Note my nickname, those of you who play may recognize it.
    Last edited by guitstik; 07-17-2010 at 06:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whilst reading this post on having too many cameras, my sister called me to say that her mother in law is having a clear out and has a Cosina CT 1A and would I like it?

Well, it's nothing special - just a generic K mount camera. I did say yes though!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You just can't say no to an orphan camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I knew when I asked this question that I would be stoned for even implying that i wanted to sell some of my gear. LOL!!! ............
    Masochist?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    That is easy! Trade the two in for a Hasselblad. You wil be glad you did.

Steve
    That's exactly what I did when faced with a similar decision about 30 years ago. I did exactly that and did not regret it. The Hassleblad gave me better photos that either of the Mamiyas.
    A year or two later, though, I did add another Rollei TLR to the stable. I had borrowed one from my brother when I first began photography, and wished I had never returned it to him.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    That's exactly what I did when faced with a similar decision about 30 years ago. I did exactly that and did not regret it. The Hassleblad gave me better photos that either of the Mamiyas.
    A year or two later, though, I did add another Rollei TLR to the stable. I had borrowed one from my brother when I first began photography, and wished I had never returned it to him.
    That's where I am at for MF gear, Hasselblad 500CM and Rolleiflex Automat. I plan on adding an A16 back after fighting off the urge to buy a Mamiya 645 There will come a time when I will upgrade my Automat to something with a Planar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps they're just too close and overlap to the point it's uncomfortable to make the choice? Swap the Mamiya 645 stuff for a good 35 rangefinder and some kit, and add to the RB 67 a little as well. That way you have two "different" systems. I've shot quite a bit with an RB 67, never with a 645, but have handled one a bit,,, 645 just didn't seem like a good "point and shoot" format for me. You've got the studio type of photography covered nicely with the RB. (if you're a submini format guy ;-) )

Or,,, if the 645 does good for your point and shoots as well doing studio duty,,, dump the RB and get a 4x5 field camera. I just can't see a lot of difference between the RB and the 645. (Ok,,, religious war to start here I'll bet).

Questions begging to be answered. You need more of a point and shoot for day to day stuff? Easier to handle did come up about the RB. Do you really need bigger film than 645? Grain bother you? Need the available light stuff with asa 3200 and so on? Is the RB format large enough? Does the 645 really fill the 35mm slot for you? Or do you even need that format? Is 6x7 really an advantage over 645? Have you found it limiting and too small at times? I assume you really don't need any real camera movements.

For me,,, I just have a major problem with grain. Why I've still got my Nikon's is just a matter of my rules, see below. When I was using my buddies RB, it was as big a fuss for me as my Linholf Technika. I just never really bonded with it, and the format didn't do anything for me that 2 1/4 square didn't. I really miss the C33. (didn't sell any of these,,,all loaners from the same buddy that just swaps equipment like some folks do wives and cars.)

So much for my rational answer. "MY" answer? I never sell cameras, guns, fishing gear, Ham radio stuff, or RC planes. (or pets, or wives for that matter). Two does not count as a collection of cameras, I'm not at all sure it's even proper to start counting when you have fingers on one hand left over. Keep your two systems, add a good rangefinder and a 5x7 or 4x5 if you must, and be well!!!

What do you think the chances are of any of the folks on this thread actually doing the one camera, one lens, one film, one year class is? So much equipment,,, so little time ;-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have two good 35mm cameras...a Nikon F100 and aFE which I just love. To me it's a better option than the 6 rangefinders I have had. I guess I just hold for the time being. I don't have to feed them so they don't cost anything in my collection.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin