Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,891   Posts: 1,520,853   Online: 1180

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    127 Format
    Images

2x3 Graflex Roll Holders

I'm trying to figure out my options for my Curtis Color Scout that I bought. It takes the older Graflex style film holders with the grooves down both sides. I mistakenly bought some Graphic holders, and they obviously don't fit. Does anyone know if the Adapt-a-Roll 620 holders will work on this kind of back? Or Graflex made any roll holders for this back? I read the older knob ones don't work well with modern film, and that the newer stroke lever ones are better suited. I also have another problem in that one of the film holder slots is in the middle of the camera, so whatever holder I put on can't really be any thicker than a film pack or graphmatic holder.

Is my best option to try and find some old graflex holders on ebay and use those? I'd really like to be able to use a roll holder though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the Color Scout takes the slotted Graflex film holders, a slotted 8-exp 2x3 Graflex rollfilm back should fit -- wouldn't make much sense otherwise. The Adapt-a-Roll 620 won't. It was made to fit like a standard sheet-film holder in the older Graphic spring-back cameras.
    The Graflex-style rollfilm backs were only made with the knob wind. The later lever-wind backs were only made to fit the Graflok backs on the post-1950 Graphic cameras (or any sheet-film camera equipped with a "universal" back).
    I have two knob-wind rollfilm backs, for 2x3 and 3x4 Graflex SLRs. They work fine with modern film, especially if you stop down to f/8 or smaller and advance the film just before tripping the shutter to keep the film stretched as flat as possible. I found them on the famous auction site after a few months' looking, which was well worth the trouble. Sheet film in 2x3 is hard to find and only available in a few b&w emulsions. You can cut down 4x5 film, but that's a last resort.
    I've been very happy with the results from the old knob-wind rollers. Just make sure that the back has the necessary SLR Graflex slots -- it's a good idea to check with the seller to make sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 2x3 Grafmatic (6-shots) should work. Mine will fit my Graflex camera as well as my RB-67.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm using an old slotted 4x5 holder and adapting an RH10 lever wind roll holder to it. You might be able to do that with a 2x3 holder as well. The hard part is getting the focus plane of the film the same as that of the ground glass.
    Another option is to find a 2x3 Graflok back that can be mounted on your Color Scout if the slotted back is removable. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I'm confused as to whether or not I can use the Grafmatic back. Were they all made in the Graflex style or are some of them for Graphic backs, or do they work on both?

This is what my camera looks like:
    http://i29.tinypic.com/30ml93o.jpg

My biggest concern is whether or not a roll adapter would be able to fit in the small slot or not.

This Frenchman was able to outfit his with grafmatic holders:
    http://trichromie.free.fr/trichromie...010/06/19/OS10

And this website shows what looks like a newer version of the camera with a different back, maybe something I could upgrade myself perhaps:
    http://www.vintagephoto.tv/scouts1.shtml

The camera does look like it would be pretty easy to take apart, as all the screws are visible.
    Last edited by Daniel Haskins; 07-21-2010 at 12:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: update

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Second the motion that an AAR 620 won't do. Mine won't attach properly to my 2x3 Graflex (SLR, not a Graphic press camera) that has a Graflex back.

Re Graflex-made roll holders to fit Graflex SLRs, look here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_1.html . I have two of 'em, of which one will attach properly to Graflex and Graflok backs and one will attach only to Graflex backs. It seems that the type that works on both backs was made for only a short while.

Thanks for the photo of your treasure. A shot of one of the gates with the film holder removed would be very useful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2x3 Grafmatics will fit all backs made by Graflex (yes, I have actually tried them and used them) - not so on other sizes. If yours takes the slotted holders from Graflex, it should take the Grafmatic.
    juan

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Sorry for the delay in my response. So my options are to either find some old Graflex holders or find some Graphmatic holders. What I would really like to do is use a 120 roll back though. My main concern is that one of the slots doesn't have unlimited space. These pictures should explain it better.

This is the room I have to fit a roll back. I guess I could make the hole bigger though. It's about 7/8th of an inch by a little more than 3 inches.

This is what the back looks like:

Here are the holders I have, they are for film packs though so I obviously can't use them. Notice the grooves:

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Does anyone know how big the roll holders are, and if one would fit in that slot or not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a few 6x9 backs for the 2x3 Graflex SLR. The newer lever wind inserts fit fine, I use them in my backs all the time. I also have a baby Speed Graphic with a Graflok Back which uses the graphic back holders.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin