Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,584   Posts: 1,545,797   Online: 1103

Thread: Adapt for speed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Adapt for speed

Hey, ok, a friend of mine recently gave me a speed winder for my newest acquisition, a Mamiya 645 1000s, BUT here is the problem. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO WORK IT. That said, it is really not that complicated as far as attaching it to the camera, pretty straight forward. My question is, should the winder continue to spin when you press the trigger or will it stop at the next frame when it is on the camera? Is there a piece missing? The winders I have seen on fleapay have a small round disk with cut outs in it that I assume is supposed to go between the winder mechanism and the camera winder or does it replace the the camera winder as a direct connection. Anyone with experience with one of these, please speak up and if some one has that little piece just laying around I would be interested in it. Thanks for all the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmm, ok, maybe I wasn't real clear. With the winder off of the camera and the trigger pulled the mechanism just spins, if I put this on the camera will it stop at the next frame? As it sits now, the part that interacts with the camera winder is just a chrome ring with two metal tabs that stick out and engage the camera winder. I would like to know what that metal disk I keep seeing in pictures is for as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Huh, I'm confused, I have a power winder for a Mamiya 645 1000s and I think it is missing a part and I don't know if it is working correctly. I'm not really looking for a price for a Handycam. Good try though thanks for playing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have a Mamiya 645, but I have a power winder for the Bronica ETRS. If you press the shutter release on that when it is off the camera it will just spin the winder, the film advance timing and spacing is performed in the body/back. So I think the behaviour you are seeing off of the camera is correct.

The power winder also is a direct replacement for the winding crank on the body. There is a pin that has to be pressed out to allow the crank to be removed, the pin is not needed with the power winder.

As I say, I don't have the Mamiya, but this may give you some ideas of what to look for on your camera.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe the camera sets the frame spacing, and therefore, stops the winder at the (hopefully) correct time. Most winders function in this manner. Some winders use the shutter release on the camera, some are equiped with their own release needed to operate. Example: Olympus OM winders are equiped with their own release. If you use the shutter lelease on the camera body then you must advance the film manually, the winder doesn't function(even if power is on). My old Contax was the opposite, the winder functioned no matter which release is pressed.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its designed to work on the camera, not off. Hook it up to the camera and try it with a roll, then you will know more.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So I got up the nerve to try the PW on the camera, and just as I thought, I need to replace the crank winder on the camera. With it folded in the stow position it hits the mirror set lever and the Pw won't allow it to stay in the out position. Besides, the engage tabs spun and gouged the crank on the camera so it appears that I need that piece to replace the advance and allow the PW to mount correctly. So now the question is... where do I find just THAT piece?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you look at the "Power Drive" currently listed on KEH (with adapter) and enlarge the image, you can see what the adapter looks like.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If you look at the "Power Drive" currently listed on KEH (with adapter) and enlarge the image, you can see what the adapter looks like.
    I've done just that and that is the part I'm trying to locate but it appears that I am going to have to buy the whole unit

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin