Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,655   Posts: 1,481,395   Online: 1062

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    certo6.com is a good resource to find information on all sorts of old folders and their likely prices, but I'm not confident in Jurgen as a seller.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That dude rocks. I love his cameras and if you buy one from him you will not be disapointed. He stands behind every camera he sell's or repairs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I went with a camera without a coupled RF could I use a handheld RF to focus the camera or would that be too difficult?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Often overlooked is the Agfa folders, they where sold under the Ansco brand in the US.

I just found a 6x6 Agfa Isolette I, they come in I, II, III increasingly better specs. The III folder has a nice lens and a rangefinder, don't remember if the RF is coupled, but its there. A rangefinder is very handy in the longer lens focus.

My Isolette has an Agfa Agnar f:4,5 85mm lens and more often than not these post war foldes will be found in exquisite, little used shape, mine is like new.

The Agnar lens was a triplet lens of good reputation (achromat was the term, that means astigmatism is not corrected). A better lens would be the Solinar, AFAIR the Isolette III came with Soilinars, at least that was an option. These are four lens, CZ Tessar knock-offs.

I will be putting film through me new camera shortly and expect glorious results!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Handheld RFs.... search out and buy a nice post-war Voigtlander rangefinder, it has a shoe to put in a post-WW2 flash-shoe. I have one it works beutifully ist made to the same standard as Voigtlander cameras..... There where other german brands as well, I've owned several, all works as advertised, and most canbe adjusted in case they are slightly out of whack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got my eye on a Bessa w/3.5 Skopar thats been CLA'd ($125). There is no hotshoe from what I see, could I still somehow attach a RF?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just hold the rangefinder in your hand to determine the distance, then put it back in your pocket and use the camera viewfinder to take the picture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Brien View Post
    If I went with a camera without a coupled RF could I use a handheld RF to focus the camera or would that be too difficult?
    You could certainly do that or there is a compromise. Some folders such as my Ansco Speedex (which is really an Agfa Isolette III) have un-coupled rangefinders.

Adjust it until the images coincide and transfer the distance from the rangefinder scale to the lens.

Most supplementary rangefinders are not hand held though. They clip into the camera's flash mount (if it has one).

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a simple rangefinder...
    http://photo.net/minox-camera-forum/003HEV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old pocketable folders are flimsy. Relatively modern Fujis and Plaubels may be better in this respect.

AFAIK all are fixed lens. The old ones come with, for the most part, tessar type lenses or triplets. Voigtlaender folders with Heliars or Apo-Lanthars are the big exception. None of these lenses gives good image quality in the corners unless stopped well down, and that includes the Heliars.

If you want the best image quality possible you're going to have to shoot from tripod. So go with a 2x3 Graphic. A Century or a Crown will focus shorter lenses (down to the 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon) than a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed. They allow lens interchange. And you can use modern lenses that give better image quality in the corners, aperture for aperture, than the lenses fitted to old pocketable folders. Re modern normal lenses, think Symmar-S, Sironar, Nikkor-W, ... If you absolutely positively must have a fast lens, get a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed and look for a 4"/2.0 TTH Anastigmat (2 1/4 x 2 1/4); the lens will cover 2x3 wide open, is better used from f/5.6 down. Oh, yeah, the 4"/2.0 TTH is rare and expensive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin