Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,948   Online: 1096

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    OR... you can go a cheaper direction and get a FSU made Moskva folder. They are copies of the Zeiss cameras. Rangefinder, 3.5 lens, can be found with 6x6 mask or shot as 6x9. Easily found, very inexpensive.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Prestmo View Post
    The Agnar lens was a triplet lens of good reputation (achromat was the term, that means astigmatism is not corrected).
    Agfa Agnar is an anastigmat. All the Cooke type triplets are. The Agnar is a typical triplet. Agfa Apotar is also a triplet, but using more expensive glass.

Achromats are doublets, and found only on the really cheap cameras like the Goerz Frontar, found on Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor and Ikonette.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A bank breaking folder is the new Voigtlander Bessa III of which I am a prophet and crier in the wilderness. They simply cannot be beaten! Only go to 6x7, however, but you could learn to live with that, I reckon. The lens and construction are beyond perfect. The cost goes right along with that. It is heavy. But the results are magnificent! try one and your are hooked.
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Here's a simple rangefinder...
    http://photo.net/minox-camera-forum/003HEV
    That formula obviously is not correct! Try putting in 60 cm distance! Or 30 cm and see what I mean. Iput inb the formula in a spreadsheet, below a certain distance I got negative numbers.

The table proposed is wrong, but less wrong as the distances get longer, which is exactly the opposite of what you need a rangefinder for! Prescise measurement below 3 meter is what I use rangefinders for, above that I more or less scale-focus.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Some 6x6 folders were made with f2.8 lenses, but I have to question just how accurate focus would be with DoF as narrow as what f2.8 gives. Remember, no through the lens focus here. I'm after a pre-war 6x9 folder myself. I want the challenge. The only problem with Super Ikontas is the rangefinders are almost always VERY dim.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Joe, if you are looking for a folder primarily for image quality, I wouldn't bother. You will pay a lot of money for a good clean example, especially if you want any kind of rangefinder.

I have a number of folders; Zeiss Ikonta 35, Agfa Isolette (6x6) and a Moskva 5 (6x9). They are all capable of making really nice pictures -- but not reliably. The lack of a rangefinder on the first two poses more of a problem than I'd like to admit (but the 35mm format helps keep it all in focus on the Zeiss.) The tiny viewfinders on all of these cameras make it a challenge to get careful and considered compositions. The shutter release mechanisms on the Zeiss and the Moskva seem designed to induce camera shake. (Of course tripods help here.)

When photography is my primary goal (as opposed to using an interesting camera) then I use my Fujica GW690. It fits your needs as originally stated: WA to normal lens, no batteries needed, manual shutter, 6x9. You gain a large, beautiful viewfinder, excellent rangefinder focussing, and a very sturdy camera. It cost $300, but it would be easy to spend that much on a top-of-the-line folder too.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love folders, but filmamigo probably has a point: they will never be admired for their predictability! And "sharp from edge to edge" is a pretty strong requirement that eliminates the less expensive folders (they tend to have triplets).

I do find that an accessory rangefinder makes a big difference in reliability of scale-focus folders, though. Scale focussing isn't *horribly* hard, but if you want to shoot fairly close-up and/or at fairly wide apertures, it's hard enough to affect the results, for me anyway.

The only thing about the 6x9 Fujis is that they're big. I mean, *really* big. You take one of those suckers out on the street and someone is going to demand to see a parking permit for it! I ended up not buying one because after handling it I doubted that I would actually carry it around enough to use it.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Fuji is big alright. Yet, the proportions are perfect, and it is such a classic design that you quickly forget how big it is. It looks like the Platonic ideal of Camera ... like the embodiment of the camera icon featured on signs that depict "no photography" or in clipart. On the street it attracts no attention.

The Moskva 5 is a whole other matter. It is big and when folded open, not a lot smaller than the Fuji. It attracts a lot of (mostly positive) attention on the street, and the shutter is louder than the Fuji.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Zeiss Ikonta 523/2, with a triplet lens. Even stopped down, it is not sharp in the corners. (Review here)

I'm not sure if folders with four element lenses will produce images that are sharp from corner to corner. They are more rare and more expensive. (Price list of Ikontas)

There are three Fuji 6x9 cameras in the rangefinder forum classifieds. They may better to what you are looking for.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin