Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,391   Online: 672

Shooter
    Multi Format

Why did the Hasselblad 205 series die out?

In researching Hasselblads, I find it strange that the 503CW is still in production, while the 205FCC isn't.

It would seem that the 205 is much more advanced, so does anyone know why that series died out while the 503 lived on?

Were there problems due to the electronic nature of it? other?

Thanks,

mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The reason the 205FCC and the entire 200 dies was lack of sales. They were all frightfully expensive, especially the 205. They were quite advanced for Hasselblad. The electronic nature of the cameras had nothing to do with it. I use the 205tcc, 203fe, 202fa and 201f and haven't had an issue with any of them. The 205fcc body was about $8000 US new if I recall. They are bargains these days!

Terry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's indeed the main reason: they were horridly expensive.
    Absolutely great machines. But way too expensive.

The other thing is that leaf shutters were much preferred in the market segment these things were aimed at.
    And that all that automation was not needed by the people who bought Hasselblads (which is why they introduced the 201, but it too was an answer to a problem noone had).

If you are planning to get one, no need to fear problems with the electronics. There are absolutely none (Apart from cameras with electronics always being less durable than cameras without, of course).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin