Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,492   Online: 809

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New Hasselblad Worries

OK, I just picked up a Bargain-grade Hasselblad 500C/M outfit from KEH.com (JOY!) But I have two concerns:

1) When I look through the waistlevel viewfinder, there are numerous black dots everywhere, and a wispy, hair-like scuff in the upper corner. Is there any way to get rid of these with a clean, or is this irreparable damage?

2) After I shot frame 12 of my first test roll, I think neither the main winding crank nor the one on the film back would wind. Confused, I popped out the film holder and found out I wiped out frame 12 and part of frame 11. Did I do something wrong? I have since put color film in there and shot a few exposures just fine (though not to 12 again yet)

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm asking you guys since I'm operating this camera on pure intuition, and these might be common problems that Hasselblad owners know about.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you buy cameras used, it's always a good idea to have them serviced.

There are still many reputable service repair people out there. I'm sure you can get recommendations here.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    1) Probably dust on the focussing screen.
    Take it out, and wipe it clean. (Dry. If must be, breath on it, then wipe).

2) After frame 12, the camera should wind and transport the film using the wind knob/crank on the camera.
    After that, the crank on the magazine is used to wind the film entirely on the take up spool.

If neither works, there is a problem that needs to be solved. Ask KEH about footing the bill, or return the camera for a better one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is a gent that does good work on Hasselblad cameras:

http://www.david-odess.com/

Give him a call.

Are your black dots and scuff on the viewing/focusing screen?

This also could be a solution for you: "If neither works, there is a problem that needs to be solved. Ask KEH about footing the bill, or return the camera for a better one."
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. Cleaning screen and mirror is usually not a problem. Remove the lens and the screen for easy cleaning.

2. You should not be able to remove the mag without the darkslide in place. If you can, that is an error (or maybe this was not the question)

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. Don't try to wipe these off yourself without some tutoring, or you could damage the very expensive screen.

2. After you finish a roll, you wind the crank on the film back to roll up the film.

Pure intuition probably isn't enough. You should be able to find manuals for the camera and back here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/hasselblad.htm

I can recommend David Odess if your camera needs servicing. KEH surely would fix it, or replace it, if defective.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re: 1) So... how do you take out the focusing screen? And what should I use to wipe it down?

Re: 2) Ok, I'll finish this roll and see if the film back's crank will wind. If not, I'll be on the phone to KEH about it.
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Note: Jesper, I did not remove the magazine, but rather the magazine insert (the bit with the two spools and the film plate). I've been able to figure out that the darkslide is needed to remove the whole back.
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WL finder slides straight off to the rear. Remove the back first.
    The screen has two small latches that are visible, push them aside & the screen lifts out, or turn the camera over & it falls out.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A thing you also should really do, is read a manual.
    Theye are thin, so no excuses!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin