Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,386   Online: 930

Shooter
    Multi Format

A Question About A Hasselblad SWC

I am currently thinking of getting one of these machines and was mooching around the shops online and came across one for sale which says its a SWCM

Ok fine but this one has a chrome lens and I was under the impression that the chrome lens ones were 'SWC' from the 60's and that the SWCM was a later version. I cant make out the serial number on the lens nor can I see if has T* on it.

So question is, if it is an older version is it worth looking at or leaving?
    Reason it being very old and possible issues with its shutter and the inability to get it fixed if it goes wrong?

Thanks
    Stack of 35mm stuff, some 120 stuff and lots of other junk to make it work

Keep it simple. ~ Alfred Eisenstaedt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure the true hassy experts will fill in the exact details, but I do know that SWCs were sent in for factory conversion to /M status, allowing a polaroid back. So those show up from time to time. I would say the older version is totally worth looking at, the lens is amazing, and service is still possible. If the price is good and the dealer legit, why not? I've had one for a few months, and I think it is pretty special. Very quick to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad Superwide History
    http://www.gilghitelman.com/news_0005.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The "/M" thing was explained by Erik.

So i'll add my opinion about whether an older version would be worth looking at: yes, it would.
    Provided that it has been treated well (which also holds for later versions) the only things are the single layer coating vs multi-layer coating issue, and, well... age.
    A wide angle lens benefits most from good antireflection coating. But the difference between T and T* coatings is really not much. But still...
    And age is something you can't get around: being older, the chance that it will be worn a bit more than a later model is high. But it doesn't mean that it indeed is in less good shape. And, of course, a later model can be in a worse state than an old thing.

So keeping that in mind, figuring it into the price you are willing to pay, have a look at the condition of the thing. Then see if the price is right.
    If both are fine, why not?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin