Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,034   Online: 1119

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye, one of the few 620 cameras that will work with 120 film provided you have a 620 spool for a takeup reel. There is enough room to just barely accept a 120 reel. Film with cheap plastic spools work best since they are often narrower. If one brand does fit then try another. Wind slowly and remember to cover the ruby window with a bit of black tape between exposures. Have fun.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-29-2010 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have one of these and agree that it works well with 120 film. Again you do need the take up spool to be a 620 style. The winding is a little stiff but I have never had any problems. I use Kodak Plus-X and generally pull develop it at EI64 in Xtol. I have never used any tape over the red window an have never had any problems with fogged film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one of these and it is a lot of fun. You
    can reverse the lens and get some trippy shots.
    See attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CharlieMelanieBrownie01adj.jpg   MaryA06adj.jpg   MelanieSandbriBrownieAltAdj.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    I have one of these and it is a lot of fun. You
    can reverse the lens and get some trippy shots.
    Those are really nice. Did you have to figure out a specific focal distance or is it more that what's in the center is sharp and everything else is'nt?
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's here a Brownie Flash because it's written "Made in France" on the front (and usually "fabriqué en France" inside).
    Brownie Hawkeye has some little differences on front (name...).
    Last edited by Andy38; 07-30-2010 at 05:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy38 View Post
    It's here a Brownie Flash because it's written "Made in France" on the front (and usually "fabriqué en France" inside).
    Brownie Hawkeye has some little differences on front (name...).
    Yes.
    Like not saying "Brownie Flash" on it?
    I wouldn't think it necessary to look for some "made in France" thing to find out that it is a "Brownie Flash" when "Brownie Flash" is what it says on the front.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one of these but it is the US version marked Brownie Hawkeye. This was the camera that my mother used to take family pics in the 1950s.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Yes.
    Like not saying "Brownie Flash" on it?
    I wouldn't think it necessary to look for some "made in France" thing to find out that it is a "Brownie Flash" when "Brownie Flash" is what it says on the front.
    Yes, I had forgotten the main feature : it's written "Brownie Flash"...

By the way, is there a sync flash on the Brownie Hawkeye ? (I was told not all have one)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian d View Post
    Those are really nice. Did you have to figure out a specific focal distance or is it more that what's in the center is sharp and everything else is'nt?
    The focal length is about 4 feet when you flip the lens
    but it varies from camera to camera.

The names of these cameras are not so obscure as the
    posts suggest. Some were sold without flashes -- they
    were Brownie Hawkeyes. Some were sold with flashes
    (with holes for the flash in the camera body) and they
    were called Brownie Hawkeye Flashes. There is an
    active Flickr group devoted to the camera, with over
    800 members and over 6,000 photos posted:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/browniehawkeyeflash/pool/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The manual HERE states that from 5 feet on is in focus. It did not say infinity, but I am assuming that

I'm running a roll through mine now and will post results (if there are any!).

Mike

EDIT: Thanks for pointing out the Flickr site Sanders! That is a great place for info!
    Last edited by toro_mike; 08-03-2010 at 01:37 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Addition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin