Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,458   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Before you send it off for cleaning/repairing, sit down with it while you watch TV or something and just repeatedly cock and release the shutter. I've had shutters of that general type (I believe including a Mamiya C-series lens) that behaved as you describe, but just running them through a few dozen cycles got them working much better. I speculate that the lens had sat in a closet for long enough that the lubrication got a bit gummy, but working the mechanism a few times smoothed it out.
    Yeah, but is the shutter is sticking he might end up going around half cocked! :o
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Before you send it off for cleaning/repairing, sit down with it while you watch TV or something and just repeatedly cock and release the shutter. I've had shutters of that general type (I believe including a Mamiya C-series lens) that behaved as you describe, but just running them through a few dozen cycles got them working much better. I speculate that the lens had sat in a closet for long enough that the lubrication got a bit gummy, but working the mechanism a few times smoothed it out.
    Yeah well, that works sometimes; but you never can tell. If it's old and sticky there's no guarantee that it won't get gummed up again quickly. Face it, the lens is old and whatever lubricants in there have lost their volatile compounds. A little bit of heat from friction can loosen things up a bit, but the gunk will start to congeal again once it cools down. Then there's the issue of years of accumulated dust and other crap that has probably worked its way into the mix. Best to get it cleand up professionally. It shouldn't cost much, and you'll have a more reliable piece of gear in the end.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This company will service your lenses give them a call http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/ or this one http://www.sendeancameras.co.uk/camrepairs.htm I can recommend both of them they have both done Mamiya TLR repairs for me in the past.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-03-2010 at 12:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have just got an 80mm silver shutter lens with the same problem, but only below 1/30th.

Ebay seller was very reasonable and i've only paid about £20 for it in total now.

PJ Camera repairs in the UK have dealt with sticky shutters for me before, they're good value and turnaround is 2-3 weeks. They want £40+vat for the job. Fair price, but I can get a blue dot 80mm for 70 quid and the lens coating and flare resistance has been my main problem with the 65mm lens so far.

Now pondering if i should attempt repair myself, and if it goes wrong i have a lens board and viewing lens to use for a pinhole.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    This has happened to a couple of my C330 lenses, too. Just the lubrication getting old and sticky (if it isn't the flash lever in the wrong place - as Erik suggests)... a CLA will easily restore them to full working order...BUT!

The C330 is officially obsolete. I took my lenses to a Mamiya dealer recently and they wouldn't touch them. They recommended someone else but they had gone out of business. An APUG member suggested someone to me... but they never answered my email. I live in the UK - hopefully things may be better where you are! It really shouldn't be a difficult job for a competent repairer of any mechanical camera shutter.

It looks like I might end up doing the CLA myself. I have some engineering ability - and I've tackled many folding camera shutters before.... but If anyone can suggest a repairer in the uk - please let us know, I would still prefer a 'pro' repair, as this is my *best* camera outfit.
    You could try Dale Photographic Ltd. Tel:0113 2025034 for a repair to your lenses.
    60-62 The Balcony
    Merrion Centre
    Leeds
    West Yorkshire
    LS2 8NG

I don't know where you are located but you could always give them a ring. They have a tech on the premises and I've always found them to be excellent. Really handy for me as I live in Leeds.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya Repair In London

There are indeed several good places in the UK to get Mamiya TLR repairs done, as others have mentioned. If you're in London, and don't mind a trip out to the wilds of Hounslow Central, I can recommend Chen Parmar. (You can post your lenses/gear to him if you don't fancy an hour on the Piccadilly Line.)

I found out about him when the guys at Fixation of London (the most prominent Nikon/Canon repair establishment here) told me they sent Mamiya stuff that came their way to him for service. He's serviced both TLR and RB67 lenses for me.

He's quite good, pretty rapid in turnaround, and very reasonable on price. You can reach him on 0208 737 7936.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by badwx25 View Post
    Pretty much everyone confirmed what i thought that it need to be cleaned and re-lubricated.

Does anyone know any good repair shops etc. in the nyc?
    Well, if we were in England of thereabouts, we'd know where to go! Anyone know of repair folks out in the Pacific Northwest for Mamiya TLF lenses?? As well as in NYC, of course!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Its not NYC but at least its the US.

Havel Camera in San Antonio Texas (210) 735-7412 tells me they've never thrown away a special tool or test rig for any thing they've ever serviced and they will tell you over the phone if they have parts and/or can attempt the service.

They are good and quick on the turn around. Of course it'll cost you shipping both ways.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Badwx25

If you have hand tools it is practical to dismantle a lens until you get to the shutter blades and drip Zippo fluid (petrol cigarette lighter) into mechanism until it frees.

If you google the instructions for your lenes may be available.

If you don't have a lens spanner a pair of pointed nosed pliers and a file can be used to make an equivalent tool, or a pipe of the correct diameter, so there is less risk of a slip, inspect carefully that a threaded lens (nut) ring has not been sealed with a dab of nail varnish/lacquer.

But you will get dust into the lens for sure even in a normal dust free room.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Hi Badwx25

If you have hand tools it is practical to dismantle a lens until you get to the shutter blades and drip Zippo fluid (petrol cigarette lighter) into mechanism until it frees.

If you google the instructions for your lenes may be available.

If you don't have a lens spanner a pair of pointed nosed pliers and a file can be used to make an equivalent tool, or a pipe of the correct diameter, so there is less risk of a slip, inspect carefully that a threaded lens (nut) ring has not been sealed with a dab of nail varnish/lacquer.

But you will get dust into the lens for sure even in a normal dust free room.

Noel
    The World is full of inoperable photographic equipment that ham fisted novices have dismantled on their kitchen table, when I worked in a camera shop we used to get processions of them clutching plastic carrier bags filled with dismantled components with pathetic expressions on their faces who said " I've tried to repair my **** and i cant get it back together again", unfortunately many pro repair firms won't touch equipment that has been tampered with. If lensed are disassembled they need to re-collimated on an optical bench on assembly to ensure that all the elements are correctly lined up to a central datum line, and that they are parallel to each other.
    It's a great thing in life to aware of ones limitations which is why I leave it to the professionals.
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin