Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,176   Online: 1032

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul Ebel (paulebel44@yahoo.com) and Carol Miller (www.flutotscamerarepair.com) are both well thought of for leaf shutter repair/CLA. Both are as close to you as your closest PO. I've used both.

However, Flutot's has a waiting list (due to illness) and may not be soon enough for your purposes.

But if they haven't been used in a while, I would thoroughly exercise them (as noted earlier) to make sure that doesn't alleviate the problem.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have cleaned the shutter of my Mamiya 55mm lens myself. The lensgroups were very simple to unscrew. Then I let the shutter lie in lighter fluid for some days, firing it some times daily. I applied a tiny drop of Nyoil (from Micro-tools) to the gear shafts before assembling the lens. It has worked flawlessly for about 5-6 years now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not in NYC but nearby is Essex Camera Repair in Carlstadt, NJ. I have also used Paul Ebel with excellent results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Before you send it off for cleaning/repairing, sit down with it while you watch TV or something and just repeatedly cock and release the shutter. I've had shutters of that general type (I believe including a Mamiya C-series lens) that behaved as you describe, but just running them through a few dozen cycles got them working much better. I speculate that the lens had sat in a closet for long enough that the lubrication got a bit gummy, but working the mechanism a few times smoothed it out.
    I agree this may ameliorate the situation as a quick fix temporarily, my training as an engineer tells me that if a mechanism's lubricants are "gummy" further use will cause the components to wear excessively. There's no way round it this lens needs servicing .
    Ben

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin